Bodywork underseal anti chip paint.

Bert

Club Member
Ladies abd Gents,
I'm on the scrounge for information again.
I've got my tinware back from the painters and would like to apply some underseal/anti chip paint to the underside of the mudguards.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
As I intend to ride the bike, hopefully long distances it will be out in the rain so I'd like to protect it as well as is practical.
Thanks.
Regards,
Bert.
IMG_7398.jpeg

Last edited:
Many years ago I coated the underside of my mudguards with Wax Oil. It is a very sticky substance that repels and prevents water getting onto metal parts. The edge of the mudguards are folded over giving a little “channel” along their length which would hold water. Perfect for filling with this stuff. The problem is with constant riding in the dry, grit from the road would wear away the coating.
The other thing you could consider is Underbody Sealant. This is a tough coating that dries hard and made to resist erosion by road grit. Before putting this on the metal MUST BE TOTALLY DRY or you will lock in moisture and it will start to do its evil work.
👍🏻

Hi Bert. Try looking up "Raptor Paint" Good hard wearing coating initially designed for truck beds and the like, can be tinted with your choice of colour. Can be sprayed on, rolled or brushed.

For old Land Rovers which had rusty box chassis from new, I use Frosts chassis black, or Dinitrol... I've heard good things about Lanoguard, which might be preferable on painted parts.

Great stuff guys, much appreciated. I'll look all of them up.
I've used a Dinitrol product on my van but I'm unsure that the product I used would be correct for mudguards so I'll check what other products they make and find the most appropriate.
Then I just have to find what is available in Germany or Europe or the Netherlands, as it looks like I'm about to be reposted elsewhere.

Maybe someone could explain the difference and advantages/disadvantages between and 'stone chip protection' and 'under seal' paints?

Late to the party, but take a look at Bilt Hamber products.

I've used Dynax S50 in cavities and cills, even wheel arches. Thin layer is all that's needed, and it never really goes hard, able to self heal when scratched. The UB is a thicker product, best warmed up for easier application (usually brush). Another one that doesn't harden and can almost be used as a putty. Two coats all over the cars under body.

I recently had my Chop painted by Gus at Muddy Beach Custom he coated the under side of my fenders to protect against stone chips, he uses the stuff all the time but I can't remember what product he uses so give him a call he is a great guy and very helpful

ETA: I have found if it dries like paint, it will chip like paint. I have a tin of 'Stone Guard' paint, black. "Prevents against stone chips". It has dried the same as an aerosol satin black that I have, and the chances are any 'anti-chipping' will be in the name on the tin! Hasn't been used in 'anger' as yet, but there's two coats on the sump guard.

Back