Carburettor Advise

Ex3t3r

Club Member
Tried in vain to find a carb re-build kit for my following: Screamin Eagle Evolution 1340 Hi-Flo Carb with no luck
so I have decided to scrap it after many years of faithful service. I know this was not the stock carb for my
Electra Glide FLHS 1991 but some how I ended up with the above, I am now looking to replace it for what seems
to be a very good carb namely 'Mikuni HSR42 HSR 42mm' ( I am not sure if this is the correct carb for my bike!)

I see on ebay and other sites this carb but it appears to be a cheap knock-off https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134063862980

My parts manual state this is the correct carb part number H-D 27039-90A (now obsolete) but I ended up with the aforementioned, I would
appreciate some thoughts from you guys on this matter on what is the best way forward without having to spend a king's ransom
on a new carb. Have attached some stock pictures of the same carb as mine for reference purposes only except for picture
named 'Stamped Number' which is taken from my existing carb that may be of use also I want to keep my Edelbrock air filter cover (see picture)
which I am very fond of and I have concerns that what ever Carb you guys recommend will it fit my existing carb manifold (see picture)

Apologies if I have omitted any other important information but please let me know if I have!

Thanks in advance for any help and advice

Screamin Eagle_1.jpg

Screamin Eagle_2.jpg

Screamin Eagle_3.jpg

Carb Manifold.jpg

Edelbrock Air Filter Cover.jpg

Stamped Number.jpg

I have an HSR42 and it works very well for me.
I had one on my 1340 Evo engine and on my current Revtech 88 and it's been totally reliable.
The one you saw on EBay looks a bit dodgy going by the description so I'd stick to buying one from a reputable dealer.

Last edited:
Just checked the one you linked is a snide chinese copy similar to others we talked about in here recently as for your old screaming eagle carb i believe warrs may be able to help i will check part numbers later also jan willemboon holland may be able to help with rebuild kit 👍😎

Thank you both for your swift and appreciated replies, will take on-board Roach's advice and will wait eagerly for Watchman's update.
Fingers crossed(y)

Hi the part number for the carb fitted to your bike is 91731-85a and it is a Kehin 40mm butterfly carb with accelerator pump and choke knob on top this should enable your local dealer or warrs to supply you with the correct rebuild kit if not the Dutchman should be able to help but i also think that either ww or one of the other catalogues lists a kehin rebuild kit which may also include the accelerator pump diaphram hope this helps with_glasses

I have one of those carbs. A standard Keihin CV rebuild kit will provide nearly all the parts you need.
I did receive a re-build kit for what I thought was my carb but the float bowl gasket was different and also rubber 'O' rings so I returned it to the supplier and they stated they could not provide me with an alternative

I have one of those carbs. A standard Keihin CV rebuild kit will provide nearly all the parts you need.
Attached is a view of my Carb float bowl as you will see the rubber gasket is different from the two you have specified

Float Bowl.jpg

Watchman is it worth giving Warr's a call to see if they have any old stock that would suit my purposes?

That Screamin Eagle carb is basically a rebadged Keihin butterfly carb that was used on late Shovels (up to 84 I think). You might find a rebuild kit for it on Ebay but be prepared to pay as both carbs have been obsolete for 30 years plus.

I've rebuilt the carb a few times using the old parts - unless the rubber parts are split or perished I've just reused them. Often the old originals fit better than aftermarket new stuff.

Here we are got there in the end the direct replacement for your float bowel is no longer available from hd i have found the correct replacement its available from Yamaha would you believe part number oem 8G6-14984-00 the part number in the illustration is for the kit for sporty but is the same carb for an evo big twin
464054F6-5D8A-4665-BC53-FCB9D112564E.png

Last edited:
Here we are got there in the end the direct replacement for your float bowel is no longer available from hd i have found the correct replacement its available from Yamaha would you believe part number oem 8G6-14984-00 the part number in the illustration is for the kit for sporty but is the same carb for an evo big twinView attachment 1190419
The strange thing about this part number is that other Yamaha rubber gaskets share the same number but are different in shape so I discovered, in the end I found a supplier in Ireland that had the exact match I needed but belated thanks to Watchman for doing all the leg work in order for me to find this elusive gasket. Top man

Reactions: M&M
Back