Compensating Sprocket 2003-2005 TC's

patrick

Club Member
Engine running rough for a couple of weeks on 03 dyna only done 13k , did service , adjust primary etc but still . Anyway got to Region 12 rally ,did ride out noticed rattle and then it started running really rough on the way home. Diagnosed problem with help of Al Kinsey and managed to get back to Southampton where we took the Primary off. The nut did not seem loose but it was, had not done any damage - not sure how long you can keep riding like that till the ferker flies off and causes major damage.
Did it up bast'd tight with Alan's extra long spanner . Now found this info so wish had taken off and locktited it-
http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42300&highlight=compensating+sprocket
Question is how long will it stay tight -am hoping that it will be OK but it's a right pisser that the thing aint right in the first place. Anyhow glad it wasn't the cams about to grenade.

Re: Compensating Sprocket 2003-2005 TC's

It depends how tight you did it up..... If tight enough it will not come loose again!

You now know what the symptoms of a loose compensator nut feel like, so if you are happy ride on until you can either re do it or you get the same symptoms.

Your decision.

used Scriv's starter a long fork leg socket and cracking wrench against the ground, press start and hey presto a torque multiplier:cool: .

and all done in the middle of a field:)

Nice idea that torque multiplier. Cheers for the feedback- excellent as usual. Guess I'll just carry the socket and apply the torque multiplier method if the symptons reappear - Did the fecker up well tight though so hopefully won't be interrupted when next in the middle of field doing important things.:D

patrick(19) said:
Nice idea that torque multiplier. Cheers for the feedback- excellent as usual. Guess I'll just carry the socket and apply the torque multiplier method if the symptons reappear - Did the fecker up well tight though so hopefully won't be interrupted when next in the middle of field doing important things.:D

bless you:D :D :D :D :D

sorry Im still p(ing)msl(ing)
truely it happened:)

S.T.Chapman said:
sorry Im still p(ing)msl(ing)
truely it happened:)

I was there in the field in Talgarth. I had mine come loose at 10k from new! Did a LOT of damage but got it all done on warrantry, not bad seeing it was in the indys for it's 10k service. Been ok since. But it has been checked by real wrench men since.

Back