Compensator possible problem ?

Invasion1973

I’m wondering if my compensator is on the way out. can anyone in the know detect anything in the clip.
Not sure clip shows it but a little knock. Gets worse when hot, also makes a little Knocking noise when shut off, but I couldn’t get it to do it today?

I can also detect a little snatch/jolt when changing gear sometimes Not sure if related and although no trouble selecting neutral or first gear but really heavy changing down.

Don't sound bad to me. Just done mine, it was really clanking on and off, but I still rode it for 6-7000 miles before I actually swapped it. What engine and year is your bike ?

Don't sound bad to me. Just done mine, it was really clanking on and off, but I still rode it for 6-7000 miles before I actually swapped it. What engine and year is your bike ?
It is a 2007 twin cam 96B Video doesn’t really show the full extent of noise. Will try another tomorrow when it is hot, as it tends to be worse then

Check the primary chain tensioner asap 07 is the first year they used harleys version of an automatic spring loaded ratchet tensioner the early versions were prone to failing above the 10k mark and were replaced with a screaming eagle version foc on bikes showing problems then the b or c modified versions were fitted from stock on the production line and apart from high power builds it seemed to sort things out all the issues you describe point to this being the issue plenty of better replacements in the catalogues easy to do your self in an afternoon as your has forwards by the look of the vid 👍😎

Check the primary chain tensioner asap 07 is the first year they used harleys version of an automatic spring loaded ratchet tensioner the early versions were prone to failing above the 10k mark and were replaced with a screaming eagle version foc on bikes showing problems then the b or c modified versions were fitted from stock on the production line and apart from high power builds it seemed to sort things out all the issues you describe point to this being the issue plenty of better replacements in the catalogues easy to do your self in an afternoon as your has forwards by the look of the vid 👍😎
thanks for the heads up. I’ve ordered a new manual tensioner even if that isn’t the problem got to be worth doing 👍🏻

Good move i like Hayden products personally there is better kit out there now than harleys i would check the inner primary to make sure the early style locator holes are still in the casting for the screws (y)

This is the one I fitted prior to replacing my compensator. You can get a good idea of the condition of that when you have the primary off.

Back