Computer hyberntion problem... driving me bonkers.

Gizmo

Club Member
I have got a PC running windows 8 that's operating as a server, there are 4 other PCS connected to it over a network. if the PC is not used for about an jour the hard drive is not accessible by the other computers unless you nudge the mouse to wake it up. I have checked all the (very basic) power management settings in windows and there is nothing set to put it into hibernation at all. The only thing I have noticed is a little clock symbol appearing in the alert flag icon which goes out if you touch a key or move the mouse.

Its driving me potty as I run a multi user Sage package which terminates the application if the connection is lost.

Is there anywhere else I need to look to see what's causing the thing to go to sleep.

Sorry if this is not in absolutely correct computer speak... I am still stuck in windows 3.1 era in my own mind.

Re: Computer hyberntion problem... driving me bonkers.

Do a search on the computer for Wake on Lan settings

I am goggling that now, looks a bit tricky.

I had another play with the basic power plan which was set not to sleep but in the advanced settings it said turn off the hard drive after 20 minutes. Been dicking around with these settings. Not sure if it will do any good or I have just screwed the computer. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

there should be something in the power options.
If nothing shows then select 'change plan settings.
One should control the monitor the other the computer.
Will have something like 'put the computer to sleep' and just choose 'never'

hope that helps

there should be something in the power options.
If nothing shows then select 'change plan settings.
One should control the monitor the other the computer.
Will have something like 'put the computer to sleep' and just choose 'never'

hope that helps
Thats the first thing i tried. It didnt work. If you click on advanced options you get a world of other settings. Haven't got a clue what i am doing but I thought i would try tweaking a few things. What can possibly go wrong...........!

I had something similar on my daughters laptop which runs windows 8. When left for a while the thing would go into hibernation and then refuse to awake - you had to hold down the power button to turn it off and then restart. Screen, hard drive and button settings all looked ok (think they were one of the standard power plans). I messed around with changing and resaving them a few times which seemed to cure it. No idea what caused it to do this.

Back