Differences between Street Rods and "standard" V-Rods?

M

Moley

I keep seeing Street Rods retailing at prices way below VRSCA's & B's.

Just wondered why they are so much cheaper?

I know this is pretty dull but the increased fuel cell size alone would be a strong reason for me to prefer the Street to other models :rolleyes:

Re: Differences between Street Rods and "standard" V-Rods?

molan said:
I keep seeing Street Rods retailing at prices way below VRSCA's & B's.

Just wondered why they are so much cheaper?

I know this is pretty dull but the increased fuel cell size alone would be a strong reason for me to prefer the Street to other models :rolleyes:
There is no more VRSCB. The difference in price between the VRSCA and the others, I would think, is mainly in the chrome and silver leafed powder frame on the VRSCA. If these don't mean anything to you, and you are cool with the mid-mounts and higher seat on the street-rod, I would definitely go for it. That 5 gallon tank is a make-or-break item in my mind for many. The night-rod, which is the coolest (IMO), is the cheapest of all, and comes with minimal chrome, but the less-desireable 3.7 gallon fuel cell.

Incidentally, the anodized version of the VRSCA is only about $500 more expensive over here. The other versions of the VRSCA go for about $1000 more.

Having said all this, the pricing may be more an artifact of the original pricing scheme for the VRSCA which they may not want to alter too much, since that would leave a sour taste in the mouths of many who bought earlier versions. "Right", you're saying. "Like Harley gives a rat's arse whether people are annoyed or not." ;)

For some reason the used prices of Street Rods are definitely "softer" - new retail is exactly ?1,000 less but on the used market they seem to be closer to ?2,000 less.

In fact I've seen the odd Street Rod going for nearly ?3,000 less than an equivalent VRSCA! Always in Yellow tho - maybe it's the colour - lol.

The tank range would make a huge difference to me. Not that fussed about mid mount pegs vs forwards & seat height is fine too :D

molan said:
For some reason the used prices of Street Rods are definitely "softer" - new retail is exactly ?1,000 less but on the used market they seem to be closer to ?2,000 less.

In fact I've seen the odd Street Rod going for nearly ?3,000 less than an equivalent VRSCA! Always in Yellow tho - maybe it's the colour - lol.

The tank range would make a huge difference to me. Not that fussed about mid mount pegs vs forwards & seat height is fine too :D
I am told by Harley people that more V-Rods are sold in Europe than in the U.S. Since the V-Rod appears to attract a lot of new riders, I'm sure that some of them regret the purchase. Both things would probably lead to some of them getting back on the market. As is usually the case, used Harleys tend to be very good buys, and I'm sure this would apply even more certainly to the V-Rod. On the other hand, the V-Rod also attracts a lot of people who ride more on the edge than regular Harleys, and this is probably even more true of the Street Rod, since it has better clearance. Bottom line is that a used V-Rod could well be a great purchase, but particular care should be exercised in evaluating the specific bike, as they have the potential for being mis-used.

Go for it, Barrie! You'll be glad you did! :D

Oh, I'd have a hard time living with that yellow, but that's my personal view, as I like it when I see it on someone else's bike!

Had a go on the Street Rod last year. Now i for one am very happy with my VRSCA and the riding position. However i didnt like the Street Rod riding position at all. It was very much like riding a jap bike very upright and felt a lot taller too. Re the secondhand Pricing. Bernie, the retail prices here have dropped from 13995 GBP in 2002 when launched for the VRSCA to 11995 for the Street rod and you can get a discount which is not normally possible on a HD. Ive seen VRSCA and Street Rods new for about 11k GBP which frankly knocks the arse out of secondhand VRSCA's bought in 02 and 03. Yes your right the factory don't give a toss now the tooling is paid for it just about selling as many as possible. V disspaointed VRod owner. I have to say although mine is up for sale at a very reasonable 11950 with 8k miles on the clock bearing in mind the paint job (V expensive) and a pair of Ricks wheels discs and pulley plus a host of other bits screen panniers (not HD) it is an excellent bike just the tank range lets it down seriously. Im not selling because of that but i just dont use it with me being in Oz 3 - 4months of the year.

I agree on the riding position - I'm too old for that leg-tuck stuff, and the seat height of the Street Rod is also higher than I like. With the new Rick's gas tank, the most serious issue with the VRSCA's may be resolved.

Now, for quick-release saddlebags that don't leave ugly fittings behind.............:confused:

got those 2 bernie. Made up some plates which fitted to the chassis and fitted some k drive Sportster panniers which can be lock or quik remove. had to modify them slightly but it wasnt a massive job. pm me your email and ill send you some pics of what ive done. It will take some engineering to do this but the panniers cost me 250GBP and the engineering work 100gbp it looks ok too.

Back