Dont think it should be like this

neandethal

Starting the process of improving my SST250 and found that the bottom of one sidepanel is what looks like a home made metal bracket screwed to the sidepanel, the sidepanel doesnt look like something has snapped off but I'm guessing it must. Does anyone have a photo of what it should look like please?

Attachments

• photo36404.jpg
    photo36404.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1
  • panel resize2.jpg
    panel resize2.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
That is correct, a long screw is bolted through a hole with its shaft sticking out, that hole passes over the thread and a knurled plastic knob with metal insert screws on to retain it. The knobs often got lost because they failed to follow the example of old Brit bikes (like Royal Enfield) and have a weighted side so if it came loose the heavy part would stop the knob rotating. (RE used one side only threaded arms)

...back in the seventies when I lost the knob on my SX175, when I got a new one I carefully drilled (from advice given by ex-motorbiking uncles) the back of the plastic and glued some fishing lead weight in to give it a heavy spot should it too come loose.

Here, this should make it all clear...

Attachments

• Screenshot (562).png
    Screenshot (562).png
    38.7 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the info, whilst i'd love it to be 100% correct the chance of finding the bolt etc is too remote, i'll improve what i have before getting it painted. after a tidy usable bike not a show animal. Im assuming the metal plate isnt correct either, should it have been a fully plastic moulding?

Yes I think you are right about being part of the moulding. Am searching for advert flyer for your bike that I know I have somewhere.

Back