Drive belt - when to replace?

R

Rod Bod

Can anyone tell me how long a V-Rod drive belt should last - miles or timescale? Mine is nearly 8 y o & 28,000 mls.

RB

Re: Drive belt - when to replace?

John it may be different on a V Rod but my belt was replaced [not broken] at circa 38K [rear pulley looked shagged] bikes now just done 70k with 30k + on the second belt. I think it is just a matter of inspection of belt and pulleys to determine replacement unless it breaks. :wink:
Has been said on here, Phil [USA] has seen 100k on the same belt.

I wouldn't put an age or mileage on the replacement mate just inspect and take it from there.

wot he said (above).

If it ain't broke don't mend it. I've got over 80,000 on the original belt and still going strong. Guess that's f*cked it saying that then:60277EB7B04744289C0

I've seen claims on US forums of them going round the clock. However there are various things to consider. I did a major rebuild of my bike at 30k or so miles and replaced mine then, plus the rear pulley. That was a precaution, everything was apart at the time and I was investing in serious performance improvements, so wanted a fresh lease of life.

I have subsequently replaced that belt because it suffered stone damage, which after about 4k miles (since discovering the wound) started showing signs if distress. I wanted to avoid being stranded if it broke, so replaced that one.

A further consideration is wear to the pulleys, especially the rear one. I have seen teeth very much out of shape and badly worn down, so slippage of the belt was a real possibility.

Finally the belt can be damaged by split teeth, bits coming off etc. So for your own, inspect belt and rear pulley condition and take a judgement. Age alone is not a consideration that I have come across. If all looks well inspect regularly, keep tension correct and enjoy!

Cheers guys, all looks well although the belt guard doesn't really help here. Guess I'll keep on having a look at every wash & scrub up, but maybe it's time I put it up on the stand, unbolted the belt guard and had a proper look, just for peace of mind.

RB

Cheers guys, all looks well although the belt guard doesn't really help here. Guess I'll keep on having a look at every wash & scrub up, but maybe it's time I put it up on the stand, unbolted the belt guard and had a proper look, just for peace of mind.

RB

That's a great idea. I've just done it to Buttercup, my Buell! :)

As said previously, just keep an eye on things really.
A mates '87 Superglide nearly 80k mileage on original belt; so thats time and distance.
My own '05 Street Rod, 48K and adjusted once!
Then again I've of heard of original and replacement belts failing with v.low mileages, but on the whole I think very reliable and cleaner and longer lasting than chains and spockets.
And the more recent models are fitted with very narrow looking belts, but the MoCo claim they're just as strong.

And the more recent models are fitted with very narrow looking belts, but the MoCo claim they're just as strong.

With the previous 1 1/2" wide belts the factory offered a heavy duty belt for sidecars. With the latest narrow belt they don't, so we must indeed conclude they are a great deal stronger than earlier belts! :wink:

Back