Drive Problems!!!!

E

evo12c

Hope someone can help, I'm hoping someone has experienced this problem before, I have a 94 fatboy with 28000 on the clock, sometime ago my drive sprocket nut stripped which i no is a common prob, after the repair I developed a problem, the only way I can describe it is a lunging forward when releasing the clutch in 1st and 2nd. i release the clutch which feels fine and the bike performs just as you would expect it will start to move forward, no drag or slip of the clutch everything as expected, a fraction of a second after fully releasing the clutch the bike sort of lunges. it's hard to explain, imagine you are slipping the clutch, the bike starts to move forward and then you fully release the clutch, you get a thud and full drive, it's like you are taking up the slack on the belt and it then becomes fully tensioned. The bike performs perfect other than this problem, there is no slip or drag of the clutch you can only feel it in 1st and a little in second, gearchange has never been better. I have now coverd about 3000 miles with this problem. I have had the bike stripped all the way back to the sprocket nut approx 6 times now, I have chequed the clutch, and push rod, primary alignment and tension, compensator sprocket and everything is fine. has anybody experienced this fault, I am a bike mechanic and this is killing me as I can't get to the bottom of this, although I am still using the bike I always have the thought of something breaking down when I am away from home.
any suggestions appreciated
andy

Re: Drive Problems!!!!

Wild guess, teeth on the main drive shaft or the sprocket worn, both maybe?

also look at the clutch basket it maybe the limbs have chatter marks and causing it to stick.

could be all or any.
goodluck;)

That sounds exactly like a problem I had with my 96 RK just after I first got it, the simple solution was a primary oil change........now use Revtech primary lube, although I believe the brand is pretty much irrelevent the weight is all important. I hope your problem is that easy to fix:)

Is it worth getting it off the ground on a lift, engaging gears, and checking free play in the drive line by rocking the back wheel in each gear?
If you take the primary outer off first, then you can see where the play is taken up in primary and drive belt, and you may be able to see where the 'slack' in the line is coming from. If you tighten the primary chain and drive belt to zero play, the backlash will be minimised, and you may be able to locate the source?
Just an idea, and probably a bad one...

Back