Early dyna fxdb, fxdc and fxdl models tank leak

Darcy

Club Member
Hi, has anyone had issues or know about problems with fuel tank leaks caused by vibration?
My tank has rubbed through causing a leak above engine. It was caused by the engine stabiliser mount (engine end) but it is still the original.
20230325_181234.jpg
20230325_181157.jpg

Thats unusual hard to tell but have the spacers under the bolts to the head been substituted with the wrong thickness spacers raising the rose joint ? Usualy on the dynas of that era there was plenty of room or is the tank rear mount bent upwards lowering the tank causing it to touch the head steady, the only other culprit would be the front mount collapsing allowing the engine to float about and touch the tank and looking at the hole its a puncture rather than wearing through 🤷🏻‍♂️

Think you might be right about it being a puncture rather than rubbing.
Thinking back about a month ago I hit a hole in the road. It was bad enough that I pulled over to check my wheels and tyres.
Will be inspecting the motor mounts plus the top mount.
Thanks.

The club was involved in developing the predator range of mounts for the rubber mount models there used to be a link in the club shop far superior to harleys own and cheaper stiffer too and really sorts the vibes and handling too (y) :cool:

Back