Electric starter

Batman

Three Wheel Clerk
Having been faffing about with the Servicar for the past few months, mainly rebuilding the front wheel after replacing the front brake hub, bought new from Samwels, I would like to pass out a good service award to Will Burrows and VL Heaven for their stirling work in getting me the parts required.

Whilst in the mood, I have been contemplating fitting an electric start to said machine. Now, Samwels have developed a verson that fits 45's and apparently it works quite well. So I though, I'll make some inquiries into fitting etc.
I was sat down when I made said inquiries, and right glad that I was!

First of all, the standard kit will not fit the Servicar as the starter motor doesn't sit correctly on the transmission, so you have to buy a belt drive to have the clearance. Ok, I thought, thats not too much of a problem, until the prices are mentioned.

For the whole kit and kiboodle, starter, belt drive and all electrics except a 12volt battery it is just over ?2000.00.

As I said, I'm glad I was sitting down. The starter kit on its own for a 45 works out at about ?1800, so there is food for thought for some of you. As for me, I'll continue to kick the bike and hope the knee keeps going.

Re: Electric starter

aim sure you could get your bike to start easy ,,, as normally side valves start the best ,

the pan of mine starts first kick and i can start her with my hand ,, everything has tobe right carb & timing Spot on and away she will go ,,

you can do this Ray :cheerful:

john

Ray
Try vtwinrebuild.com - their 45 electric starters are highly spoken of. Website is being rebuilt at moment.

aim sure you could get your bike to start easy ,,, as normally side valves start the best ,

the pan of mine starts first kick and i can start her with my hand ,, everything has tobe right carb & timing Spot on and away she will go ,,

you can do this Ray :cheerful:

john

I'd agree with John. A well set up 45 (and i'm sure yours is) is a doddle to start.

I don't know enough specifics about Servi's to answer this myself ( Stuart Graham may be your best bet) but as I recall they had electric start from 64 onwards. Is that particular setup available?

Last edited:

I'd agree with John. A well set up 45 (and i'm sure yours is) is a doddle to start.

I don't know enough specifics about Servi's to answer this myself ( Stuart Graham may be your best bet) but as I recall they had electric start from 64 onwards. Is that particular setup available?

The later setup doesn't fit as far as I am aware Kev, but I am happy to be corrected.

Back