Electrics

Charley biker

Hi folks,
I have a 1989 classic electraglide and am having problems with the electrics,when the handlebars turn to the left all the lights and power goes off to the fairing but the bike still runs: straighten the bars and hey presto they all come on:
Is it a huge job to take the bat wing faring off and is it like spaghetti behind it with all the wires. I am not hugely confident but after I have just replaced my starter motor I feel I can tackle it, any help is greatly appreciated charley

Leave it all in place put bike on sidestand turn the bars left just by the headstock there is a connector just inside fairing underneath it should be cable tied to fairing support if the cable tie has broken the old style connectors can part sometimes with bar movement and will cause your problem 👍

Had a similar problem on a Honda CX500 many Moons ago. The wiring within the plastic coating had deteriorated and would break on full lock to the left (wrapped around the headstock on the right hand side). But if there's a plug there, look to that first off as watchman says.

Back