Electronic Ignition

Ex3t3r

Club Member
Having spent more time then I wanted to trying to check the ignition timing on my 1991 Electra Glide - Sport
I have come to the conclusion that the existing Screaming Eagle electronic ignition has failed or is failing
as I cannot get the timing mark centre of the timing plug hole despite adjusting it to advance or retard
position, I checked the VOES for correct working operation before starting out as the manual instructed
and it works just fine as far as I can tell so this brings me to my intended selection of a new electronic ignition.

Your opinions please on this replacement product I saw on a independent H-D Youtube channel:

Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142504404953

or

If the general consensus of opinion is positive then I will buy it however if there is a better product out there
then please let me know but I highlighted this item above because it comes complete with optional 'Single fire Ignition'
coil which I want. Please let me know your thoughts especially kiwidave?

I used to fit crane kit myself when i used to turn my evo builds to single fire have you the screaming eagle module number thats fitted i should be able to get the advance figure also on a 91 model there are 2 timing marks and they are early and late style
33DEBBDA-8271-4FAD-BFFA-D7E6A95994CD.jpeg

The advance mark will only come into view above 1600 rpm and only on the front pot hope this helps

Have a look at this s+s brought cranes kit up and now sell as their own and its good
Ebay 192047538972

The advance mark will only come into view above 1600 rpm and only on the front pot hope this helps
The middle left illustration (Front Cylinder TDC Mark) straight vertical line is mine, a friend helped me to try and time it, I was at the timing inspection hole side with my adjustable strobe light and he was on the other side of the bike but as you know this a difficult procedure to accomplish without getting covered in engine oil mist and after 1 hour we just gave up despite him increasing the revs to the works manual recommendation of between 1800 - 2800RPM and adjusting timing marks accordingly but we did notice a change in engine tone and performance whilst trying to adjust the timing, I know there is another method where you drain off the primary case oil and transfer the TDC timing mark inside the primary case housing but I thought I would give this a go instead.

Forget the clear plastic screw-in plug you can buy as you can't see a damn thing with it. Does this help in establishing whether my existing electronic ignition has failed or is failing?

Try painting timing marks with tippex with timing clear plug in its dead clear and hold revs at 2000rpm to get it bang on

Are you using timing light or by eye if you have no timing light shine a torch into the clear plug

Try painting timing marks with tippex with timing clear plug in its dead clear and hold revs at 2000rpm to get it bang on
We tried applying tippex painted on the timing mark I saw it for a split second but just could not get to appear within the timing inspection hole! However I have never employed the method you suggested by painting tippex first then inserting the plastic plug after, do you think it is worth trying this next?

find the advance mark tippex it then put clear plug in not touching flywheel set timing gun to 35 degrees start bike hold at 2000 rpm gun should strobe on mark each spark if mark is not advanced enough or retarded enough gently move plate by loosening standoffs and rotating untill advance mark appears in timing hole job done (y)

find the advance mark tippex it then put clear plug in not touching flywheel set timing gun to 35 degrees start bike hold at 2000 rpm gun should strobe on mark each spark if mark is not advanced enough or retarded enough gently move plate by loosening standoffs and rotating untill advance mark appears in timing hole job done (y)
I will give this method a try and thank you for the appreciated help Watchman

Ive used the ultima version of the kit once on a evo chop i built a couple of years back, no issues with it and a hell of a lot cheaper than the Hi-4 equivelent. I have a full kit in the garage that I plan to add to a shovel at some point!

as far as setting it up i have never had the need to use a timing light, remove the inspection bolt, set the bike to Advance mark then rotate the plate until the light goes out, get the bike running and then you advance/retard as you want to.

Same way I have set up numerous Hi-4's

Last edited:
No experience with that, but most every aftermarket ignition is a quality product and each brand has its advocates.

Single-fire is a system that H-D adopted for the TC and M8, after decades of dual-fire operation on big twins. The theory is that as there is no ''wasted spark'', vibration is reduced and ignition components last longer. ( It was interesting that H-D adopted this, after years of dealerships ridiculing owners who had put single-fire modules on their bikes.)

I suspect that those of us in the real world really cannot tell the difference but we like to think we can because we just spent a couple of hundred quid on a single fire set-up LOL. I am no different. It's a bit like twin-plugging Shovels and Ironheads: the theory is sound, but you probably only find a discernible gain in tenths of a second on the drag strip.... ;-)

The original Crane Hi4 was improved and renamed Hi4N and then improved again and rebranded as S&S Hi4N when Crane sold off its motorcycle products to S&S around the time of the GFC 14 years ago.

But the fact is, S&S actually stopped making the Hi4N modules a couple of years ago, even though you can still find them all over eBay. I really like them and I have only had two fail in 28yrs and one of them was a real cheap gamble bought used.

I have one used S&S Hi4N and one new sitting in the parts box ready for when the PowerArc (primitive old brand) ignition module that came with the FXB I bought last year goes up in smoke.

The only reason I personally have stuck with Crane/S&S module over the decades is I love to kickstart. And that module has a kickstart setting. Most other brands have no such setting, or if you want a kickstart setting you have to specify when you order direct, and the module is supplied with kickstart set up.

On a '91 Electra Glide this is no issue, of course. I think it's smart to upgrade a 30+-years-old module. Getting the matching single-fire coil in one package deal is good shopping.

Last edited:
I have not timed with a timing light for years. Now I always time on how the engine responds. This means any little variation in your engine/fueling etc is accounted for and you get the timing right for your specific set up/engine irrespective of timing marks. Try and ignore this guys style of delivery - his method works. Ignore the timing marks apart from for initial static timing so the thing starts - good luck 😎.

I have not timed with a timing light for years. Now I always time on how the engine responds. This means any little variation in your engine/fueling etc is accounted for and you get the timing right for your specific set up/engine irrespective of timing marks. Try and ignore this guys style of delivery - his method works. Ignore the timing marks apart from for initial static timing so the thing starts - good luck 😎.

I came across this guy on Youtube a while ago but I just could not take him seriously enough to watch it through to the end he kept reminding me of a cross between David Bowie in a wig and Forest Gump.

Appreciate the helpful thought behind your post

I came across this guy on Youtube a while ago but I just could not take him seriously enough to watch it through to the end he kept reminding me of a cross between David Bowie in a wig and Forest Gump.

Appreciate the helpful thought behind your post
I know, I stopped after about 1 minute at first but forced myself to watch it through. At first I thought he was trying to carve out a unique space for himself on YouTube by being a cross dresser mechanic (all power to any cross dressing mechanics out there by the way - whatever floats your boat). I think he is just stoned though and having a bad hair day!

Back