electronic problems 2005 1200

jingleberry

Had a faultless 7 years since i bought this my third evo sportster. It has stock engine and frame, but retro styled with shovel head rear end, oil tank, switches and controls. The issue I think , maybe is it has a 1999 softail dash and speedo mounted on a Dyna tank, calibrated for the standard 2005 loom.
All running gear fine, starts and runs fine, no problems except suddenly indicators stopped working. then a couple of days later no brake light. then when I turn the ignition on all lights on the dash come on including a little red key light and the yellow engine light . never ever seen them before, and the odometer readout is there. but when the bike's running it disappears., and the speedo doesnt work. then I stop it . turn ignition back on and all four indicators flash. four times and so on, random. otherwise everything runs fine. As its not standard I dont know if it has the security stuff mentioned in the owners guide, and there's no obvious place to plug in an OBD.
waddya think?
And can I keep riding even though there's these electric problems. ?
I can live with no indicators and easily rig a brake light, hey I was brought up on Brits with Joe Lucas Prince of Darkness gear.....

Is it on a carb or fuel injection?.
Did you do the wiring work?.
As an aside to all this, I'd be interested to see the Shovel rear on the Sportster, any chance of a picture?

Ok just been down this road on my sporty build this week because you are using a 2005 as a base including the Tssm module you need to align the speedo head to the module as well as the ignition module i just had to do it when i fitted a new ignition module from Alex with this build of mine and its the only way to marry everything up electronically see below follow it to the letter and pull the lights fuse first it takes 20-30 mins and will kill the battery otherwise 04-06 models are a mare for this here you go and good luck it did my head in twice :eek: (y)IMG_1118.png

hi MnM and Watchman. thanks . can't go to it right now, maybe later
more general info tho. the bike was built by a guy I think was called Ross or Russ Nichols (?) in north midlands somewhere I was in touch with him for a couple of years . I bought the bike from the bloke who bought it from him. He built a few customs, one for his mum I think, so a bit of a biker family. Anyone know him?
As it has the shovel/pan horseshoe oil tank, the electronic component that says 'position critical dont relocate' and a bit of wiring and maybe fuses are down inside where the battery would be. cant see how to access that stuff without removing the oil tank. Ill attach a couple of photos.
keep the ideas coming...
pics to follow later.

Now i like that a lot (y) That Delphi unit in the pic is the Tssm module did you unplug the speedo for any reason ? That would do it or the battery being removed so it reverted to base settings ?

Not the speedo until after the problem when the randomness of it all made me think loose or corroded connection, but all cleaned and seemed fine .
In seven years I've probably replaced the battery a few times, 3 or 4. but this problem only started a couple of weeks ago.
I had to put a new shovel front brake reservoir about six months ago, and realised when I had the front brake and switches apart to check maybe the indicator problem was in the switch, that I'd pinched a wire against the handle bar, but again that would have been months ago. the only other thing was I bought one of those never have to disconnect type trickle chargers, but again months ago and it seems to have worked fine.....

Recon it may be worth popping the dash i know it sounds daft but there were some speedo dash assembly’s in the catalogues where you could place the plug wrong way round unlike harleys sockets only other thing could be the main earth from the battery to the engine mount or primary they use 2 points the best one is the primary just next to the starter or like mine battery to rear engine mount and loom to the primary 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Thanx again the speedo multipin has a little peg so it can only go in one way. I will check the earths later, ....had a problem with a bunch of fault codes coming up on the car... all down to a bad earth between the block and chassis. easily missed.

Back