Engine Managment Light Slow Going Off

DWS

Club Member
2008 XL883R with 10,000 miles.

Bought this bike a few months ago but only recently put in on the road. Everything works fine and it runs and rides very well however, I have noticed that the engine management light, the yellow one shaped like a car engine, is slow to go off after starting, it doesn't go off until I put the bike in first and get ready to pull away, once out it stays out. I would have expected it to go out as soon as the engine starts assuming all is well. Any thoughts on this one?

Maybe a sensor slow to wake up how olds the fuel ? A good run and a shot of red ex might clean sensors up or maybe an earth issue rubber mounts can suffer from this check the neg from the battery by giving it a damm good yank and the same for the pos the neg should terminate on a stud on the rear engine mount with your main loom on the horizontal stud next to the starter pop em off clean em up studs too and refix and see if this cures it (y):cool:

DWS. It is staying on to warn you of a fault that has occurred. Get it plugged in at the dealership, and they will tell you what the fault was/is.
Tony

DWS. It is staying on to warn you of a fault that has occurred. Get it plugged in at the dealership, and they will tell you what the fault was/is.
Tony
Is it not worth checking the basics first rather than just handing money to a stealership ? the fact it goes out sounds like a sensor twatting about until ether the voltage goes up as the revs go up to pull away or possibly a bad earth 🤔

Well that's sorted! Set off for a ride this morning and only got 3 miles when the engine management light came on and the engine cut out, dead. I turned the ignition off and on again and tried the starter - nothing. Turned the ignition off and waited a minute then turned it on again and everything came back to life, started the engine and turned around and headed for home. Rang my dealer to come and get the bike to get it sorted out as I didn't want to get stranded on the side of the road again riding to the dealership. Lets see what they find.
:confused:

Well that's sorted! Set off for a ride this morning and only got 3 miles when the engine management light came on and the engine cut out, dead. I turned the ignition off and on again and tried the starter - nothing. Turned the ignition off and waited a minute then turned it on again and everything came back to life, started the engine and turned around and headed for home. Rang my dealer to come and get the bike to get it sorted out as I didn't want to get stranded on the side of the road again riding to the dealership. Lets see what they find.
:confused:
let us know what the problem was.

Check the battery terminals both ends rubber mounts have an issue with coming loose give em a good tug and check the neg as you slide the battery out they work loose as you move the battery i tighten them up them and cable tie round the post to prevent em from undoing as you move battery it saves a lot of pain…(dont ask) rolleye

Reactions: DWS
Maybe this might help you.

Attachments

• 2008 HD Sportster Electrical Diagnostics Manual 99495-08.pdf
    29.1 MB · Views: 7
Hopefully found the problem, took it to my local Harley dealership to be checked out, the error code identified the crankshaft position sensor faulty. Only problem is the sensor is on back order with Harley and they have a delivery date of 28th June.

I hope the dealer does a proper job of diagnosing the fault. Just because the trouble code points to the crank position sensor it doesn't point to the actual fault if that makes sense. It could be anything between the sensor and the ECM.

The sensor has a test method that I hope the dealer performed. They seem to be relying on the diagnostic system to be correct. I am sceptical.

Sometimes more than one code for sensors is the sensor voltage supply is missing not that all the sensors are faulty.

If the dealer changes the part maybe they will not take it off if it doesn't fix the fault but will carry on and you will get a bigger bill than perhaps you ought.

In future you can get the codes yourself - https://www.fuelmotousa.com/p-29661-harley-trouble-codes.html

Last edited:
Back