Error codes what does this actually mean 🤷

Invasion1973

Hi new to the forum. Just got a 07 fxstc and having a few problems.
I went to Harley Davidson because I was convinced the bike wasn’t running correctly and had a intake leak and thought better to put my mind at rest . Master tech had a look at it and sprayed some flammable spray on the intake. It showed signs of a intake leak as the revs increased while using spray. He replaced intake seals and retested, and everything appeared to be fine.

Rode bike home and I had no complaints. Today however, the revs started hanging again. When I came to a stop at a roundabout or junction. The revs would start to drop then hang higher than tick over think 1300-1400 rpm roughly. This was intermittent but happened 5-6 times. I Checked for error codes when I got home
cheers
cheers IMG_7385.jpegIMG_7386.jpeg

Last edited:
All I can point to is a similar thing happens when the system relay fails on the 2008 Sportster I have here. The relay powers the injectors so the ECM thinks they are faulty as well.

Take out relay. On the bench energise the coil and check the resistance of the closed contacts.

It could be the connections to the relay need cleaning up as well.

Earth problem the main earth battery to frame is aged prob full of corrosion due to age replace from car spares mine did same thing and changing it cured all of it 👍😎

All I can point to is a similar thing happens when the system relay fails on the 2008 Sportster I have here. The relay powers the injectors so the ECM thinks they are faulty as well.

Take out relay. On the bench energise the coil and check the resistance of the closed contacts.

It could be the connections to the relay need cleaning up as well.
Thank you ill take a look👍🏻

No worries it drove me mad but given the age of the bike both the earth and the positive to the starter suffer from the same issues and to prove the point once changed cut em open longways on bench with a stanley and see the corrosion running through after 17 yrs 🤷🏻‍♂️

Checked earth cable to frame all seems fine tested with multimeter all as expected. I think it may be IAC motor causing my problems.
27658-06

looking at replacement three to choose from Fueling, Drag specialties and CVP are they all the same for quality ?

How do you get from codes that show a relay fault to a fault with the IAC?

I would recommend you get an electrical trouble-shooting manual and see how all the devices can be tested.

I’m definitely not an expert, not even close. I am just trying to learn and figure out what’s wrong with my bike. Regarding manual on electrical trouble shooting. I couldn’t agree more and happy for you to recommend me a good manual?

Error codes aren’t absolute. You can have one code go off, this will then trigger, four more codes. these are -or can be items affected by the first code. As far as I can see Codes are a pointer, a general direction to go. To add to this they may be historical and not a current issue!

Appreciate your advice I have taken the advice and replaced the Relay. Unfortunately this didn’t stop the hanging revs.

My assumption it was the IAC has now proved to be correct. I took air filter off and had a look in throttle body while cycling the ignition. No movement of IAC motor whatsoever. I gave it a clean with intake and carb cleaner and it is now working again and bike is running better than ever 👍🏻🙂
I have Ordered a new IAC motor as my suspicion is it will stick again.
cheers

Last edited:
Hi.

Below is a list of HD manuals for you to download :

Some links have no 2007 manuals but do have 2008.

Softail Service Manuals :

Softail Parts Mamuals :

Wiring Diagrams :

Electrical Diagnostics Manuals :

Hope this helps.
Thank you those links will be a great help 👍🏻

Back