Evo base gaskets and The Oil Fix (TM)

kiwidave

Anybody have any experience of apparent failure with this base gaskets cure after about 15,000miles in place?

http://www.haydensm6.com/tof_single.htm

My bike needs a heads/rockers gaskets job (leaks identified there) so Evo motor is 80% torn down, finishing it when I get back home.

I was certain too of seepage at base gaskets and though have only pulled one cylinder so far, the little brass jet was sitting at like a 45deg angle in the drain hole at the bottom of the rear cylinder.

Looking at obvious leakage signs, I am betting similar story in the front.

Studs are tight. And they are LATE style with flange at base, male threads up top.

Hmmmm....I am wondering if jet's (jets' ? ?) movement part blocked the oil return and caused a little undue oil pressure at the top, forcing it out the rocker/heads gaskets. How's my thinking?

Seeing as it was nerve-racking pulling the barrel (that non-magnetic jet drops in the cases and you're in a World of Pain) I am now not inclined to replace it and will just do a super-careful replacement base gaskets job.

Other users' reports on The Oil Fix welcomed. A master dealership mechanic (i.e. 20yrs in job and known to be good. not you Phil but your input VERY welcome) has told me he doesn't bother with it now as latest H-D base gaskets (and James, of course) are so good. Certainly I had tens of thousands of miles of no leaks before one prodded me into using the Oil Fix.

Should I get more jets or forget?

How did you SECURE yours in place? I think I used Hylomar....

Re: Evo base gaskets and The Oil Fix (TM)

The advise given you is good, one thing I would add is that over a period of miles the liners can expand inside the aluminium cylinder, & the cylinder base gets warped.
Have a good machine shop chuck the cylinder in a lathe & put a light cut to the base of the cylinder. This puts a good sealing surface to the bottom of the cylinder & makes sure it is completely flat. If there is even a slight lip protruding from the bottom of the liner have them take that off too.
If you have access to a belt sander you can pass the bottom of the lower rocker over it a few times. sometimes the chrome pools on the bottom there which does not help the seal between the cover & the head.
The new HD gaskets are good but I`m a big fan of James.
We do all of the above at the shop & get minimal re-do`s
Oh & there should be NO need for gasket sealer.

cheers Phil!

I take it you have no time for The Oil Fix.

chuck the cylinder in a lathe & put a light cut to the base of the cylinder

is this same as, uh, just skimming a fraction off the entire bottom of the cylinder? sorry, I'm no engineer and have never played one on TV.

No chrome on mine - simple alloy-finish motor as per 1980s basic option

Exactly, just a fraction to make it dead flat.
Another plus is that if you have the stock type paper gasket (which seems like it is welded on) it takes that off too.
If both surfaces are flat & it is prepped correctly you should not need the oil fix.

you are worth your weight in Sierra Nevada Pale Ale! ;)

I will put the barrels on glass to check for flat

Just to back up what Phil has said Dave.
Thats what a well respected Harley engineer did to my barrels as just a matter of course while they were off,he also reckoned HD gaskets were as good as James ,and he also said use HD instructions on torque settings and procedures.Had no problems with mine so far ,i'm now on 15000 mls with it,so its just about run in now i would think.

Good luck

Chill

thanks!!!!

These barrels have 80,000 miles on them now and although bored to first oversize I am not certain they were skimmed.

So if need be, off to the head shop! ahem :D

Through luck and good fortune I have in the garage both sets of top-spec gaskets. James and latest H-D. I'll toss a coin.

Back