Extended warranty.

michael_dinwiddy

Club Member
Now that my RK is getting long in the tooth, I have bought another Harley.

When buying from the dealer I was given a 12 month warranty.

My bike was already a year old and I did have to replace one item. This was done with no fuss and no cost at all. (not everything is covered).

However to ensure the warranty continues to be valid I will need to have the bike serviced by a H-D dealer or one that is deemed acceptable (feel free to discuss this in more detail below).

The new models from Harley, as is almost always the case, do seem to have ‘issues’ that may not become apparent until 2-3 years old, so I am going to buy an extended warranty; available for up to 3 years at about £800. One and two years are available at half that price.

The optimum warranty, according to one dealer, is an extension to the factory one but is underwritten by a third party, they said it’s better for them to make a claim on these as they are not fighting with HD to pay.

Any further info would be useful.

Last edited:
To my mind, ''issues'' that become apparent after 2-3 years are actually called ''normal wear''.

What bike did you buy?

No matter whether it's a fridge, a TV, a washing machine, a car or a bike, ''extended warranties'' are commonplace now and always enthusiastically offered. I try to buy a quality product and decline them all.

I cynically regard them as a means by which the seller claws back much of the ''good deal'' you think you just got.

Your 12 months standard warranty will cover any genuine ''issues'' I am sure. Happened to me! Nothing to worry about since on my Harley. Incidentally, in the Trouble-Free Stakes, I got 8yrs out of my last TV, 14yrs out of my last dishwasher, and the washing machine, dryer, vac, microwave, fridge-freezer and a few other things are going great still at 9.5yrs each. (I do recommend Bosch and Dyson products)

Extended warranties are for nervous suckers. Sorry, that's just my frank view. Put the money into a separate account and see how often you need to call upon it over the next three years.

Morning Michael,
I think it would be prudent to buy an extended warranty for peace of mind, given that you presumably in tend to do many miles on it. The length of the warranty is obviously dependent on your budget and how long you intend to keep the PA? Also, I assume the bike would be more desirable to a dealer or private purchaser with a warranty in place should you decide to sell and therefore hopefully retain a higher value.

To my mind, ''issues'' that become apparent after 2-3 years are actually called ''normal wear''.

What bike did you buy?

No matter whether it's a fridge, a TV, a washing machine, a car or a bike, ''extended warranties'' are commonplace now and always enthusiastically offered. I try to buy a quality product and decline them all.

I cynically regard them as a means by which the seller claws back much of the ''good deal'' you think you just got.

Your 12 months standard warranty will cover any genuine ''issues'' I am sure. Happened to me! Nothing to worry about since on my Harley. Incidentally, in the Trouble-Free Stakes, I got 8yrs out of my last TV, 14yrs out of my last dishwasher, and the washing machine, dryer, vac, microwave, fridge-freezer and a few other things are going great still at 9.5yrs each. (I do recommend Bosch and Dyson products)

Extended warranties are for nervous suckers. Sorry, that's just my frank view. Put the money into a separate account and see how often you need to call upon it over the next three years.

I would normally completely agree - but the bike in question is the adventure model with many expensive gadgets and has a history of known issues, although supposedly resolved in later models.

I am with you on this… I never buy them, but a vvt failure is a new engine.. £10k. It is very unlikely I know… but gives peace of mind.

The bike is a Pan America Special.

I would normally completely agree - but the bike in question is the adventure model with many expensive gadgets and has a history of known issues, although supposedly resolved in later models.
Healthy debate is what it is all about mate. Knowing it's the Pan America, I'm not thinking any different. But keen to read what others think. (y)

Last edited:
Sykes tell me they keep the control switches in stock, used for various new models, because they fail often. Anyway I digress.

I was interested to hear if any members have had experience with these extended warranties and understanding of the optimum warranty.

Last edited:
If its anything like a normal 12mths, forget it. Laquer peeling off fork lowers within the 1st year. Harley said wear and tear. Tough. Rear mudguard plastic trim cracked. Had to kick up a real stink on this one, but guildford got it sorted.

I would say waste of money, but as its a pan am, i would probably go with it. But only as its a pan am.

If its anything like a normal 12mths, forget it. Laquer peeling off fork lowers within the 1st year. Harley said wear and tear. Tough. Rear mudguard plastic trim cracked. Had to kick up a real stink on this one, but guildford got it sorted.

I would say waste of money, but as its a pan am, i would probably go with it. But only as its a pan am.
Yep I have seen lacquer peeling on other nearly new bikes. You are right about the PAN AM too as H-D parts are expensive, and it is an entirely new machine.

I was looking at the warranty and as you say they do their best not to include stuff, so that's why I was looking at the optimum warranty. As it is underwritten by another company it may be more acceptable of wear and tear.

If its of any interest, when i bought my 2014 glide, the 1st of the rushmores, i was told by warrs that they stocked the left hand switch, as its the infotainment one, and there were issues in usa, of them going tits up. 10 yrs old now, and no probs.

Mind you, it these extended warranties are anything like pet insurance plans, you would be better setting aside the £800 for a 3 year warranty and place in a high interest account and use that money to address any issues. You may even be lucky and have no issues in the 3 year period and have the tidy sum untouched plus interest. But then again, it's not a Honda, so it's likely to have issues if you pile on the miles, it's therefore a wet finger in the air to decide if it's likely to be really expensive to fix?

One thing is for sure - whoever provides the warranty, they ain't no charity and will look to minimise any claim value submitted, or use.a loop hole to avoid any contribution.

Out of all the Marques I have owned, Harley Davidson warranty is the only one that I'm glad when it's run out and I can get it sorted myself.
As for servicing they ar serviced by myself, my last one purchased new, FXLRS I serviced at 953 miles and stamped the book up with my own stamp.

Out of all the Marques I have owned, Harley Davidson warranty is the only one that I'm glad when it's run out and I can get it sorted myself.
As for servicing they ar serviced by myself, my last one purchased new, FXLRS I serviced at 953 miles and stamped the book up with my own stamp.
I usually do the service on my EVO. But am being cautious with thus one.. belt & braces 😂

I usually do the service on my EVO. But am being cautious with thus one.. belt & braces 😂
Understand that entirely Michael, must admit when I purchased my M8 I was abit jittery re not taking it for its1st service, however after the crap that's come back to me previously I couldn't help myself 😀

And if ya think every drops been dripped, think again. 😉

Considering the law was changed to allow any company to service vehicles and keep warranty in tact I don't see why you need to get HD to do the services for the extended warranty to be valid. Just need to use OEM parts as I recall. The crux of it is the bike is serviced according to the maintenance schedule religiously.

Considering the law was changed to allow any company to service vehicles and keep warranty in tact I don't see why you need to get HD to do the services for the extended warranty to be valid. Just need to use OEM parts as I recall. The crux of it is the bike is serviced according to the maintenance schedule religiously.
So long as OEM Parts are used AND the Garage is VAT Registered then the warranty is valid. 👍🏻

I bought one of the earlier Softail M8's with factory mods so opted for the extended warranty. It's ran out now but I didn't need it.
It's low mileage so might be problems coming ,who knows, I don't trust Harley when it involves new models.

Back