Fat Boy foot boards to pegs

kawasoe

Hi .Maybe its because I have short legs ( lol )
But I am having trouble with the big Heritage style foot boards on my 1450 twin cam ( not had it long ) .
I keep catching edge of my boots putting feet down on stopping on the foot boards.( rode a FXDWG FOR 18 Years )
I have seen pics of the odd fat boy with foot pegs conversion , but not seen one on the road to talk to .Also seen pics of much narrower after market floor boards ( might be my answer as not as wide as the stnd boards.)
Has any one got experience of swapping boards for pegs or the narrow foot boards as maybe if narrower i won't catch my boots on them .Cheers

I fitted early street glide boards to mine then a set of stream liner boards from the catalogue then gave the bike an over haul chopped it about and and fitted forwards off the same year fxst and never looked back straight bolt up easy to do and cheap set off flea bay (y) :cool:

Was more or less thinking along mid pegs , but maybe forwards might be ok .I am happy with the mid feet position ( especially on a Fat Boy ) just had a couple of close calls when stopping and putting both feet down quick and catching edge of one or both outer edge of board's. My 4 th Harley since 89 and 1st with foot boards .Thanks for info I will look into that.

Thats a great pic , I never had a prob with the wide glide forewards ( 29 inch inside leg ) 5.8"
So judging by that pic it looks the way to go .So I need the foreward off a 2002 fxst? . What about the gear change side ,is there much to alter .?

I can see the difference in that pic that it makes with the foot board gone .I don't like the feeling I get at a last minute feet down and having to clear the foot boards .At least with that conversion I won't have that happen .

I am 5’8 and have no probs , on the gear change side look for a complete take off set its a couple of hour bolt on to to do both sides that way as the fxst side stand is a tad longer (y)

Great .I will start looking
Many thanks.
I was on point of selling the bike and its covered in extra chrome with a one off paint job and like a new bike at 11000 .miles.So if I canget this sorted I can keep the bike .20230817_112018.jpg

Got mine on ebay good looking wheels (y) Give bretton motorcycles Chester a look they break lots of stuff helped me out on a few of my builds good blokes

This is a downer .Says fits , but not with engine guards.I suppose the guards get in the way .Seeing as I dropped it 3 weeks ago moving slow outside my house and the guard totally stopped any damage , I guess I cannot do without the Mustache guards .Will need a re think .lol

Tbh i found foot boards ok on my road kings but shite on the fat boy so i built it around me and found i had far more control with forwards and apes or mini beach bars at slow speed or manouvering recon you may want to look at the position the current set up puts you in for a cure to slow speed mishaps 👍😎

Well it seems my only problem is putting my feet down on stopping is annoying as the standard heritage style boards I have are ( to me ) too wide .its almost like instead of putting my feet straight down I have to take my feet outwards beyond the foot boards and down .And I just ain't used to it.if they were narrower I might be fine .I seen a few Harleys with the defiance foot boards , they are narrower . I have size 9 feet but these heritage size boards to me are too big .They get in the way .Its a shame about the engine guard being in the way of the forewards .But I defo would not take that off as it saved the bike once .I cannot beleive someone some where does not do a mid peg control swap over.i was at Eltham Harley last week and was looking at a Harley with the defiance foot boards parked outside .I would have loved to sit on it and try the foot board but there were so many people there and I could not find the owner.

This might give you some ideas for mid controls on the Fat Boy.

Back