Filter Cleaning

F

Foby

What is the best way to clean filter (K and N?) used on stage one?

Re: Filter Cleaning

use a k&n filter cleaning kit!
dan

What is the best way to clean filter (K and N?) used on stage one?
Wash the filter in hot soapy water.

Leave it to dry or blow it dry using compressed air (obviously observing all the necessary Health and Safety issues associated with using compressed air and being careful not to upset anyone's religious believes, sexual persuation, race, creed or colour whilst doing so)

Coat the filer element with K&N filter lube (available from your local friendly independant dealer:rolleyes:

Thanks all,I thought you could use soapy water but wernt certain.:D

Why filter lube why not any ordinary motor oil:confused:

Why filter lube why not any ordinary motor oil:confused:
Following info from K&N FAQs

Can I use anything other than K&N cleaner and oil?

We recommend that you only use K&N oil and cleaner. K&N air filter oil is a compound of mineral oil blended with special polymers to form a very efficient tack barrier. We have performed tests on numerous oil combinations and our blend has the required properties for maximum flow and filtration. Petroleum products such as transmission fluid and motor oil will soften and destroy the rubber sealing edges. Our cleaner is a non-detergent degreaser. Solvents and gasoline will harden the rubber seals causing the filter to distort (shrink). A mild detergent can be used in a pinch, but care should be taken to fully rinse it out. Rinsing detergent out of a filter is similar to getting soap out of a sponge; it?s not that easy to do. Always make sure the filter is completely dry before re-oiling.

Used to use engine degreaser, water and let dry over night, but now unless its real filthy I just spray more K&N red stuff on.

I think you might find you only need to clean the K&N ones every 50,000 miles or so. a little dirt in them helps them work better, the manufacturers say.....

that's the service interval on my one, anyway.....

Spoke to Roger at Fullbore about this yesterday,he said they use petrol.
Don't think the seal will dry out if you spray some red stuff on it afterwards.

hi
this is what i use on mine, seems to work ok . water soluble degreaser on filter leave on 20 mins, hose out from the inside ,pushes crap out . shake dry , blot out water ,leave to dry 24 hours somewere warm. pj1 filter tack ,red in colour , moto cross gear spray on and leave to go tackie. clean filter box out with degreaser on a rag , spray some filter tack around box so that when flys etc come in though opening they hit the sticky crap first in air box and get stuck to that,ha ha , bit of guaze or net round air filter opening keeps the stones and big flys out ,tea strainer cut down ,99p woolworths helps to keep the filter cleaner longer. on one of my bikes without a air box i use a pop type sock with oil on it over the k&n , and change every couple of weeks,ride dailey. its surprising how much rubbish sticks to it in a few hundred miles of riding , god knows how much crap we breath in off the roads eh, would use a pop sock round the cake hole but get done for some kind of perv . anyway hope this helps to keep your filters clean.:)

Back