First Impressions - Fat Boy & Fat Bob

Dazzlin

Club Member
Had a very nice morning yesterday riding the new 2018 Fat Boy and Fat Bob's around the Surrey Countryside.

Fat Boy

I must be honest, but I was not a fan of this bike's new looks in all the pre-launch advertising and even on the launch a few weeks ago it never floated my boat with the wide tyres front and rear and Tron like wheels, however when parked on the road in it's more natural surroundings it actually looks pretty sweet;

20171014_88_zpsqjleinnl.jpg

Getting going is simple with keyless ignition, you just jump on and go with no switches to mess around with which is a great feature.

The first things that hit you, "Boy...you have been on a diet!" It feels so much lighter than the previous Softail and if you are getting to an age where your current Softail is becoming a bit too heavy, all is not lost and I suggest trying one of these before going down a lighter bike route as it really is a marked difference.

A few folk had mentioned about the wide tyres giving heavy steering and handling was not great, but having taken this bike down some great winding B roads I was actually amazed how easy it flicks from left to right and feels like it has a little more ground clearance from the twin cam model. I was expecting it to be a slow roll from left to right and more handlebar input needed to keep it on line, but not at all......it switches with ease and it's great fun to ride, so I guess the rake is steeper as it steers faster than my Fat Boy. This may change when the tyres are worn, but on fresh rubber it brings a smile to your face and that's what it's all about.

The new suspension is again a huge step forward. The standard suspension on the twin cam is a little bit basic and the rear is harsh no matter what pre-load setting you have ripped the skin off your knuckles dialling in, yet now you have decent compliant suspension that is adjustable and just makes B roads a pleasure rather than trying to hold your fillings in. A huge improvement.

This was the 114 engine with a Stage 1 and felt very torquey and really had some get up and go compared with the old 96 engine which always felt sluggish in the Softail range, but not too sure it's hugely quicker than the 103. There is more torque for sure so great if you carry luggage or pillion and the gearbox is far less agricultural and almost feels....dare I say it.....like a Jap bike.

20171014_92_zpsnkqk0sjt.jpg

The only areas for improvement I could find is the front brake had good initial bite, but when I dialled in some hard braking you can feel the flex in the front end through the bars and the feeling one side wants to overshoot the other.......then we still have the fairly poor ABS. I say poor, as it's not intelligent enough to work out lack of grip with undulations so medium to hard braking on undulations (even over the reduce your speed strips across road on the approach to roundabouts) upsets the ABS and you suddenly have no brakes. I tried this twice on an empty road and if this was being used in anger you will hit the back of the vehicle in front as you simply can't stop the thing, or have a fairly major pant filling experience. It's the same on all ABS Harley's and frankly is downright dangerous. Once you are aware of this you tend to ride around it, but it's supposed to be a Safety feature so why do you have to be aware of the surface before it's applied? Harley Davidson, speak to BMW as it's a far better system and has to be down to the sample rate. Sorry, but it's crap and needs developing as we don't all live on boring 100 mile long straight highways.

On a flat smooth surface it's fine and most folk will never ever need it or have to rely on ABS, but the above is worth noting......especially if on approaches to roundabouts where the speed stripes are painted across the road.

In summary, if you have one of these on order, you will not regret it. It's a lovely bike to ride.

Fat Bob

As soon as I saw this bike in the press I just had to get a ride.
20171014_93_zps4zqxvpxa.jpg

To me it was the most pronounced change of the entire 2018 range with the high exhausts being almost flat tracker style and the large rectangular headlight would not look out of place in a Mad Max film. It just looks fantastic.

My previous bike was a Fat Bob and I loved it to bits and am not too shy to admit I shed a tear the day I sold it as we had some great time together, so this new Model was exciting news.

All the initial comments above regarding weight etc are the same, but with the Fat Boy you jump on and cruise.........with this you instantly become a hooligan as the riding position and bars bring back the feeling of being on a GSXR Streetfigter and it really is a riders bike, so if you have just jumped off a sports bike and are looking to slow yourself down, but still have a blast, look on further.

The Stage 1 slip on cans the bike was fitted with did not give much of a growl so suggest waiting to see and hear all the aftermarket cans/exhausts before spending the hard earned cash as this bike demands a noise to match it's image.

Seating and bar positions were spot on for me at just 5'6" so taller riders may feel cramped and some minor changes.
20171014_96_zps2z7jwoas.jpg

The side stand was a little awkward to find and also retract when on the bike and the rear brake pedal I could hardly use as by the time the brake made contact the pedal was below the footpeg so super awkward. I guess this was just the bike and I imagine it can be adjusted. No fancy rubber on the brake lever either, so will be interesting when raining to see if it becomes slippery under the boot.

You will have to be careful if ever fitting an after market filer as and additional width will push you leg out and making contact with the rear brake will be very awkward without and extended lever.

Mirrors are a bit useless, but again this can be sorted.

Despite the bike being comfortable and fun to ride my biggest reservation would be for anyone (like me) who spends most time riding with a pillion and also some touring. Why? Well the exhausts are very high so panniers/saddlebags are a non starter unless there is a frame to push them past the exhaust to prevent rubbing/burning, then you become very wide. The rear is short, so limited space for a pillion, sissy bar etc, but if you do manage to get it sorted the pillion will get covered when it rains as the rear mudguard soooooo short. I can see a few after market rear mudguards to tidy this up a little as it also sits high over the rear wheel and when most people change for a side plate to remove the large Black number plate holder it's going to look a little like you took a hacksaw tot eh rear mudguard yourself.

That said, it's still a great looking bike and I am sure it will sell like hot cakes and I am looking forward to seeing the custom/personalised versions as the after market brigade catch up.

Despite all the gossip and haters of change, IMHO I think Harley have got it bang on with these two bikes and will make the bikes even more appealing to today's customers. After all, they need to reinvent themselves a little to survive in the ever increasing cruiser market and the competition are making very appealing bikes that pull folk away from the Harley Brand and I am sure they want these defectors back.

Long live the brand...........but more importantly, long live the soul

Re: First Impressions - Fat Boy & Fat Bob

Nice write up - thanks!

I agree with all your points and have what I think are solutions that will work (for me).

For Touring, I am going to get the sissy bar and rack and the big roll along HD touring bag. That should give enough luggage space for at least a week before I have to do laundry. My missus doesn't ride with me much, so for the pillion seat, I will just get her an air hawk/road zeppelin/butt buddy type extended pillion pad and see if that works.

The Screaming' Eagle street cannon mufflers sound awful - and this bike DOES need to sound like a hooligan. S&S and Rhinehart both have sets of slip ons that should be released in November - so I might give those a try. RB Racing is also taking orders for 2:1 systems and Two Bros Racing has a 2:1 system out.

The mirrors are awful - but there's plenty of options to fix that - which I will do.

And the number plate holder looks awful. I plan on a side mount version - but hopefully somebody will come along with an under fender mount soon enough. I might just have a play with some ally sheet and see if I can cobble something together. Shouldn't be too difficult....

Great bike though - mine is almost needing it's 1K service and I have had a blast doing those miles.

And the number plate holder looks awful.

I agree but I'd go further to say that the whole back end looks awful. I think it's a real mess, it's just looks unbalanced and unfinished to me. The lower photo in the Fat Bob section of Darren's write up looks good but the upper one looks almost like it's been photoshopped using two photos of two different bikes. I remember when the Rocker came out I thought the back end was ugly on those but this is worse. The aftermarket design engineers are going to be busy for a while on this one. Just my opinion.

I agree but I'd go further to say that the whole back end looks awful. I think it's a real mess, it's just looks unbalanced and unfinished to me. The lower photo in the Fat Bob section of Darren's write up looks good but the upper one looks almost like it's been photoshopped using two photos of two different bikes. I remember when the Rocker came out I thought the back end was ugly on those but this is worse. The aftermarket design engineers are going to be busy for a while on this one. Just my opinion.

+1 The back end is shite, spoils the good looks of the rest of it. The Fat Boy looks obese. For me the best looking of the bunch is the Low Rider, if I had more riding years in me I'd have one.

Great report Daz, I must admit in the showroom the Fatboy looked, well fat at the front. May have to actually ride one and see [emoji48]

Sent from mobo

How about making up a 'Quin report, winter editions often need more contributions..?

Back