Flat Battery

S

skikool

Went out today, (first time in a month, i'm sad to say) guess what? Flat Battery. It is a 2005 fatboy, not even a beep or flash.

So the remedy, fit a trickle charger. The next problem no power to the shed, it's across the back street.

What can i do?

Solar? Battery powered? Mains (during day across the back street?) Take battery off to charge? Does it effect the alarm?:confused:

Cheers

Gordon

Re: Flat Battery

Solar Powered 12V Battery Trickle Charger

?9.99
dot.gif
dot.gif
dot.gif

Click on to the panel below....

Quick Links
Solar Powered 12V Battery Trickle Charger Information:
Keep your battery topped up with solar power
Ideal for cars, caravans, boats, etc.
Blue flashing LED charge indicator
Durable ABS outer casing
Built-in diode prevents reverse charging
Interchangeable connectors: cigarette lighter plug and crocodile clips
Suction cups for easy mounting

Designed to trickle charge 12V lead-acid batteries with no additional running costs. This charger only requires daylight to work, even if the weather is overcast or dull. Ideal for cars that will be left standing for long periods, as well as for maintaining batteries in caravans and boats.
The built-in blocking diode prevents reverse charging from the battery to the solar panel at night and the flashing blue LED indicates when charging is in progress.

Solar Powered 12V Battery Trickle Charger Specifications:
SpecificationsOutput power:1.5W @ 17.5VTesting condition:AM=1.5,100mW/cm?Cigarette lighter plug fuse rating:0.5ACable length:2.7m (9ft)Dimensions:352x125x14mm

Thanks for the advice. Is this one you have tried?

Any ideas about alarm??

No never tried it but you should never let your bike battery go flat they don't like it.

We don't write anything on here for the world to see reference our alarms.:eek:

Ask me what you want to know on a pm and I'll try and answer.

And this is only for club members...Make sense dunnit?

I've tried one of these & had it rigged up all year. Didn't do a sausage.

However, maybe my unit is faulty so I've now retired it, you may have better luck! No alarm on the bike I had it rigged to - so can't offer any advice on that side of things.

I cannot see that solar panel being of much use personally. It's only rated at 1.5 w, and that will only be in optimum conditions. ie a charging current of about 1/10th of an Amp at best, and then only when it's in fairly strong sunlight

If you want to go the solar panel route, I would have thought that as a minimum you would need around a 30W panel, plus regulator. BUT you're then looking at around ?260.00 (Malplin).

If you are not using the bike, take the battery out. Keep it in the airing cupboard or the kitchen on a charger. Prolonged exposure to cold air does not do batteries any good. If you have an 05, the battery should be under warranty.

Hi Gordon,

Most important thing is that your bike may still be under warranty. If so, get Harley to fix it, as the battery should not have gone flat in a month.

If you take the battery out, the alarm will go ape-shit until you plug it back in again. Thats cos its got its own internal battery. If that one goes flat you might have to take the bike back to Harley to get the thing reprogrammed.

I'd forget about a solar powered battery charger in this country, and hold out for a wind generator or something that's operated by rain. That gives me an idea! How about a water wheel attached to your guttering hooked up to a small 12v generator. Cool..........

I'd forget about a solar powered battery charger in this country, and hold out for a wind generator or something that's operated by rain. That gives me an idea! How about a water wheel attached to your guttering hooked up to a small 12v generator. Cool..........

Nice one Tooty.....:D:D:D

Looking for volunteers to help! Thought that would be a good idea but...........

only 1" tarmac over the cobbles! Job for a nice summers day!

;)

Back