FLHR Rear Tail Stop Light Lens

Steppenwulf

Non Member
On the weekend I bought a lay back license plate holder ( trading in Lizi's Xmas pressie vouchers :) ) which re-locates the plate above the stop/brake light.

The plate I'm going to fit is the US size 7.25" x 4.25" (on the small size of legal ;) ). To help keep plod happy I want to make sure that it will be illuminated and so I also have a second hand lens cover that has a clear upper section to allow the light to shine up onto the plate.

The problem is that I have taken off the old brake light only to find out that it is a sealed unit. The outer red lens cover and the inner bulb holder, seals etc. seem to be glued together. The question is, can I just stick a screwdriver between the inner and outer and prise the buggers apart or am I looking at cracking one or the other?

I've seen a few bikes with this relocated plate and replaced brake light and think it looks really smart. How have peolpe gone about doing this? Cheers fellas.

Re: FLHR Rear Tail Stop Light Lens

All 1999 & later tail lights are a sealed unit, & do not come apart. I was not aware that the UK rear light did not have a clear top (did I get that right?). You will need to use a US style one.

phildhb said:
I was not aware that the UK rear light did not have a clear top did I get that right?

Yeah, that's the score here. Thanks for the PM, your a star... :D :D :D

If your ever in the market for some heavy shag pile (CARPET!!!) let me know ;)

I assume your numberplate mounted under the tail light on the rear mudguard with a seperate light to illuminate the plate, the crappo EU type set up.

Well the good news is H-D UK changed back to the US style and the newer models are how they should be, numberplate above the tail light.

You should be able to get just a replacement lens with a clear top section for a later bike, it's a shame you just can not use the pre sealed set up as they are easy to come by.

I like the ones down below the light myself.
Mine is above, clear lens.

Old green one was below, liked that much better.
Personal opinion I suppose.

Selling you old take-off's?

Ta Blackdragon for the link but there's no need to go to another site when it can all get sorted on here! ;) :D :cool:

PM sent HH.

Back