Fuel/Injectors protection over winter.

Gez

Club Member
Whats the consensus these days re fuel additives to protect fuel, tank, lines, injectors etc over winter? To be honest I've never bothered down the years doing anything over winter, and never had any issues unless I've been lucky. Also never kept any bike for more than 3 years or so from being new, but my Low Rider is a keeper and want to be sure. Advice greatly appreciated.

If your laying it up till early next year and not using it i tend to fill tank to brim to avoid condensation in it (bad) then bang an entire bottle of redex in on top run some through for a bit then wash clean and coat in acf50 and wd40 and pump tyres up to 50 psi cover up and optimate on the red ex seems to stabilise the petrol which normally has a shelf life of 6-8 weeks and stops it turning to jelly and blocking things i usually do this in December and dig it out again at the end of jan beginning of feb and never have had a running or starting issue after its the condensation in the system causes the issues filling the tank to store sorts that 🤷‍♂️

I've always used Lucas petrol preserve treatment, one bottle is twice the content of the H-D offering and half the price, so lasts 2 winters. Fill the tank up with premium E5 petrol to combat condensation and run the bike for 5 minutes to ensure the petrol additive has gone through the fuel line / injectors. Never had a problem starting and running 3 - 4 months later.

Would someone be prepared to fill up with supermarket bought E10 and add nothing to it and leave until next Spring?

Just ordered some Putoline Fuel stabaliser. I'm a cheapskate so always use E10. Hope to use the bike a couple of times before it's put away till next year.

Back