Gear change lever bushes

Deanokidd

Club Member
Hi All,

After a successful 1100 mile round trip to Scotland its time to continue with some of the jobs that are needed on my Electra glide.

Starting with the gear shift lever bushes that pass through the front of the primary drive cover and replacement of the primary drive cover gaskets, now the problem that I am having is my bike is an 83 fitted with a later 87 evo engine (number BKLH901756) all the bushes I have purchased have been the wrong size so far but hopefully Jersey HD have found the correct ones for me P/N 33713-85B or 33714-90B iv'e ordered two of each lets hope they are correct.

My next concern is the shaft that passes through the primary drive cover for the heel and toe shift lever, will it be from an 87 or will it be the original one from 83 I need to figure this out, I would say looking at the primary drive covers its from the later 87 model but i'm no expert. so I could get the correct bushes but still have the wrong shaft.

The clutch cover plate at the rear of the primary drive cover has two identical gaskets one on top of each other is this correct or has someone made a attempt to stop it leaking?

Thank you in advance for any help.

You just need one gasket at the derby cover. About 20yrs ago H-D and the aftermarket switched to solid full-coverage gaskets for all Shovels and Evos there. This is also the ONE**** safe place to use a little silicon at the base of that gasket before reinstalling the derby cover if you need a little extra insurance.

****I am ASSUMING your motorcycle now has a fully isolated primary, without original factory Shovelhead primary oiling set-up. (I assume this as it has Evo cases and oil pump). You do not want any silicon travelling anywhere.

Outer primary cover is not a good indicator of year correctness..... if your bike has the Shovelhead clutch, it will almost certainly have the Shovelhead primary. And I am guessing it will have the shovelhead clutch because it certainly has the original gearbox. Another giveaway may be the primary chain adjuster, I am fairly sure that design changed with the Evo.

Back