Gearbox issues

Deanokidd

Club Member
Evening all,

I have just started the diagnosis on my 1982 Electra glide. Its goes up through the gears fine it won’t come back down.

Today I started to strip it all out and noticed the following, the small selector fork ( could have a different name) that pulls the selector drum around is slipping off when coming back down the gears.

I have pictured below.

Has anybody come across this before?

Thanks for any help in advance.

IMG_8624.jpeg
IMG_8623.jpeg
IMG_8626.jpeg

havent had that issue personally, however there is ajustment in the movement of that fork if i remember correctly via a alan head with a locking nut i think, maybe its different on an 82 i have only experience with evo transmissions from 90 onwards, is it possible its worn and just needs to be adjusted

if you search up 5 speed shifter pawl there is a ton of info out there, video's on asjustment, suggestion's on upgrades etc etc...

personally i think your right, replace it with new and maybe a new spring as well then adjust, again from what i remember you centre it when in 2nd gear but the only times i played with the shifter pawl was when i replaced the 5 speed casette with a baker 6 and they came with a whole new setup

good luck!

It should be, its been swapped out for a EVO I be leave the gearbox to be the original Shovelhead one though.

Last edited:
Looks like the 'box is an Evo too. Part 54 is the pawl shifter cam, it does look worn and the spring (51) prob needs replacement too.....

Thank you mate, is there meant to be a picture as well to reference the numbers you have quoted?

I submit that those diagrams are not totally relevant to the original poster's bike, though several parts are.

Previous posts last year identified it as almost certainly the original 1983 5spd FLHT gearbox. His bike is a 1983 FLHT, according to VIN, with an Evo motor transplanted into it.

His gearbox has the 5spd style trans-top clutch release arm, which disappeared after 1986 model year.

Shifter forks are wear items. I would want to be certain that 1982 5spd gearbox bits were the exact same as 1995ish before ordering parts.

Last edited:
I always have problems with parts it normally takes two or three orders before I get the right parts 😂😂
A bit more research last night I’m sure it’s the original gearbox too.

Now I need to find the correct parts!

I would want to be certain that 1982 5spd gearbox bits were the exact same as 1995ish before ordering parts.
Absolutely; I see that most of the contents of the '96 box are '79-'82....no guarantee of course, but unless there was a total redesign(?) in 1982.......? And the part photographed by Deanokidd is a 79 part.....
My 66-84 Shovel parts manual doesn't show the part that clearly by 1982 was in the 'box. What's the history of this 'box which was Shovel vintage, with pre Evo parts of 1979 age (or...... parts of shovel age that made it into the post '84 evo 'box)?

Last edited:
Fair point. I see that part #54 does indeed have a -79 number with no apparent update i.e. ''-79A''. It is almost certainly correct for Deanokidd's bike.

Your 66-84 parts manual may be one of many titled ''FL" or even ''FL/FX''. The MoCo did totally different manuals from 1980 model year for the 5speed bikes, both FLT and (from 1982) FXR. Very few parts were used in both 4spd and 5spd gearboxes.

The 5spd gearbox first used on 1980 FLT was also used on the first FXRs in 1982-83 and there weren't that many changes throughout the rest of the 1980s, a hunt through the manuals reveals - the biggest being the sidecover switch to a ball-and-ramp clutch release setup from 1987 model year on.

Back