Genuine battery

I have never heard of this Battery.
It doesn't actually say it's made specifically for Harley Davidson (The MoCo)! It says it was developed for H-D Bikes:

"JMT Premium Motorcycle Battery VTB Series for Harley Davidson

The maintenance-free VTB batteries from JMT were specially developed for all V2 Twins from Harley Davidson. Excellent cold-start power"
This looks like it is a Wet type Battery not an AGM Type.

Someone might know how good or bad this Battery is but I would be wary of buying without a recommendation.

It depends on year of bike as the 2 Sportsters I have here use a smaller in length battery.

65958-04B

65989-97 was the battery used in 1997 Sportsters.

2002 883R - thats the part no from Jersey HD but they can't send batteries through the mail.
Think i'll go with the genuine one from ebay if West Coast can't get one - will try them tomorrow when they open.

Thanks for advice but in the end went for JMT Lithium after talking with Alex at Fastlane. £183 delivered from Germany. I've had 3 motobatts & would not recommend them. Lucky if each lasted 2-3 years. Kept buying them as they were cheap - maybe for a reason.

If your sporty is going through batterys every 2-3 years i would suspect a problem somewhere the motobatt on my big inch softail is on its 8th year although its on an optimate when not in use although a mate uses his bar hopper on average twice a month and not used from oct-april (too cold) and we end up sticking a new battery on it every year but he uses cheap ones your lifespan seems short for a regular used bike 🤷🏻‍♂️

Looking at a wiring diagram a 2002 stock bike shouldn't have a continuous battery drain. With that you possibly can get away without the need for a charger but factor in that cost as the lithium battery requires a different charger to lead acid batteries.

I haven't looked at the design of the JMT battery but if it doesn't contain a proper battery management system, BMS for keeping the cells balanced then you will need a tender type charger to do low current recharge to get the cells balanced.

Looking at a wiring diagram a 2002 stock bike shouldn't have a continuous battery drain. With that you possibly can get away without the need for a charger but factor in that cost as the lithium battery requires a different charger to lead acid batteries.

I haven't looked at the design of the JMT battery but if it doesn't contain a proper battery management system, BMS for keeping the cells balanced then you will need a tender type charger to do low current recharge to get the cells balanced.
Yes, you have to use a Battery Charger that is designed for Lithium Battery's or a Charger that has a Lithium mode. Don't use a "normal" Battery Tender, make sure is is compatible with Lithium Battery's.
Here is a page from the Web explaining: Click HERE to read.

Still having problems starting the Sportster sometimes.
It either starts first time or backfires and takes about a minute to start.
Occasionally it makes a hellish grinding noise which I thought could be starter clutch.
Drained transmission oil which was clean & didn’t smell.
Everything looked fine – no loose metal or chunks off the starter.
While the cover was off, I tried starting it.
30-40 times & it started first time every time.
Primary chain looks fine - have a Hayden M8 tensioner which seems to be working.
Once the cover was back on its back to its old tricks.
New Lithium battery works great when it does start & I’ve put an extra earth lead from battery to rear mudguard bolt.
I’ve checked negative battery cable connections as much as I can without taking it off completely.
Once its going it runs perfectly.
Any suggestions?

Are you sure the Cover is not rubbing on something? Have you checked the inside of the Cover for any scoring?
Seems strange that the Cover seems to affect the bike starting. 🤔

im not sure about a sporty but on a big twin the starter gear runs in a bush in the outer primary, id check for something the same and see what condition it is in, could be your issue.

Had noticed before but not remembered. Went to start this morning & wouldn't go. Turned key off, back on & it fired up first time. Still not sure how this would be affected by casing being off?

Have you checked the positive and earth leads for wear ? Had similar with starting intermittent etc. Your battery case may slightly move one of the leads to a position where it’s broken internally and can’t get power through ?

Change the pos to the starter and the earth also given age of bike i am sure they are full of corrosion and causing resistance sporty are known for earth issues done two of em this year showing similar faults check where the main earth terminates either on the primary by starter or on the rear engine casting in front of frame tube issues here ar well documented (y)

Back