Good for a 1st harley ?

F

Fluffy

Morning Boys and Girls !

As you know im looking for my 1st "real" bike (going to buy one when I get back from prague next week) and got loads of responces from people in my "where to buy from post" (thanks for all the advice everyone that posted) .. now I have a bit better an idea of what I want ..

I think im going to buy 2nd hand and I dont want anything too big (with me being only 24 insurance is a rip and im limited to under ?5k including ins) .. so im looking at something like this ..

ok, now honest opinions peeps, since this will be my 1st harley..

1) what can i expect from a sportster, these on bike trader look nice, had a test ride on one and loved it, anything else i shoudl know ?

2) looks like its going to be Eddy's leeds, HW Chesterfield of maybe St Ledger Doncaster (all pretty much the same from what I understand) .. anyone got any prefrence or bad experiences they want to share ?

3) am I best of taking a expert with me ?

Re: Good for a 1st harley ?

Hi Fluffy

I'd suggest going for a 1200 if possible (as you've come from a Tupperware Torpedo) - 833 may be less power than you'd like/expect?

Defo consider private sale - I'm sure that some of the good folk on here may be selling/upgrading this summer?

Happy hunting!
Dodger

Hi Fluff

As above, if you can find a good private sale where you can see (a) it looks clean - been looked after (b) any paperwork for servicing, new spares etc, (c) not paying that extra 1k+ to the dealer so you can afford more.
For peace of mind though, most dealers will (a) give you 12 months MOT and (b) 6 months Warranty.

Most people respect their Harleys and there are a lot of private sales out there. Put an 'I want a Sporty' feeler within the website and see what you get back. Also go to the search and look for insurance deals.

Cheers

Tones

hiya fluffy, good luck in your search for a good sporty, as previously said there are lots to choose from privately and from the dealers. i think st leger is the closest to you and that would be best for after care etc. they have some good used bikes that may be within your price margin. they also have the manchester and newcastle dealerships to pull bikes from. call st leger at 01302 571400 and speak with Tom (aka - heavy T ) i will do my best for you. cheers

hey fluffy, a friend has a black sportster for sale. 1200cc 1989, screaming eagle carb and pipes, forward controls, backrest, excellent condition, 19000 miles, very well taken care of. clive is asking for about ?3500.00 and can be reached at 01302 311568 after 4 pm each day. he works near the st leger dealership so maybe can arrange to view the bike during the day too.

Check this out, Spicy is selling his sporty, its in the classified.

http://www.hdrcgb.org.uk/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?

you could do a lot worse,
its a lovely bike, well looked after, a good price, had sh*t loads of extras

V.G.C Pearlescent white 2002 xl 883 10,000 miles converted to 1200 and stage one tuned
by HD tech using gen HD screaming eagle parts not rebore.
slash cut baloney exhausts not screaming eagle but, very rorty and loud,
new avon venom whitewalls
EEzee Clutch conversion very easy to pull, to avoid aches in heavy traffic.
braided brake hoses
all tastfull extras, lots of chrome
Arlen ness mirrors
Rick Doss tombstone taillight with LED bulb
sissy bar and pad
small screen, removeable,
oil and filter changed every 1000 miles
highway pegs,
pullback risers making a very comfortable riding position,
large, H.D touring saddle
chrome oil cover, battery cover ignition cover
grips, and switch covers
every available chrome extra fitted
this bike has been seen and admired at many rallies,and even referred to as a mini Heritage
? 4000.00 O.N.O
Photo to follow.
riders club member.
Spice

Natra

ps if you buy it tell spice i want commission:D :D

oooh .. looks good, like that one .. but no pic, ill drop him a mail now ..

thanks guys !

Fluffy , if you are talking about Spices bike ,heres a couple of pics

ef71485f.jpg.orig.jpg

ef714861.jpg.orig.jpg

Not too keen on the screen but its easy removable right ?

Other than that looks good ... /me runs off to ring the bank

Screen will take about 1 minute to remove, I had same screen on my last sportie

good for you fluffy and good luck with gettin the bike, spice is a real good bloke , and a valued member o the riders club

Back