Harrison Billet Calipers

E

evo12c

Hi, has anybody had problems with these calipers drawing in air. I have a pair fitted to my 93 fatboy, front is a billet 4 and is not to bad other than the pads rattle all the time, I have a mini 6 fitted to the rear and keep losing the brake when on a run it will pump up so air is the problem, no visible leaks evident, changed master cylinder as I was informed they can draw in air after a few years/ miles under the belt, then pipe, still got fault, only thing left is the caliper, have been told they have problems with the pistons, allowing air to past, i don't want to bin the caliper as it was a fortune, i now repair kits are available but they to are not cheep, just wondering if anybody has any experience of this problem before I start spending more mone.
thanks andy

Re: Harrison Billet Calipers

Have my twin 4 pots for 6 years now, no issues.

Had my 6pots since 2001, No problems at all :)
Noj

I had a set of four pots that had a problem with the piston and seals in '94.
They basically restricted the pistons returning back after braking, both calipers.
I.E. You could feel the brakes binding after releasing them, they were less than a year old and Ken Harrison was still there then and said just said send 'em back, I know what that is, but would not say what it was. On return, I am pretty sure they were the same calipers but very clean with different pistons, you could tell they were a different colour.

But that said I had no further problems for the next ten years, we have also had three other Harrison calipers with no problems.

Are you sure the hose unions and sealing washers are good?

Have you used the right brake fluid and not mixed DOT5 with a non silicon fluid?

Is the brake binding as this will build up heat and if hot enough can boil the fluid and I think I am correct in saying cause bubbles in the system and then you will loose braking.

If someone has removed the pistons then refitted them without new seals they can also leak too sometimes.

Try ringing Harrisons to see what they say too, they might have some pointers.

Got six pots front and rear, no problems. Yes they can be a bugger to bleed the first time but once you get the hang of it they are easy.

Thanks guys, have just recieved harrisons phone number via the website, will call in the morning.
andy

had mine on about 9yrs before sending off to Harrisons for a ''think it might be time'' rebuild.

But never had any issues. Strictly speaking I think you are supposed to change the crush washers when you drain the fluid.

is the rear brake light switch linked (like mine) and tight?

simonDeuce said:
Got six pots front , no problems. Yes they can be a bugger to bleed the first time .

absolute bastard to bleed but have been on bike 6 years no problems at all

the rear brake switch is in the pipe, had no problems with that, swap over to new pipe.orderd new seals hope this will sort out caliper, seal kits are ?10 for a 4 pot and ?15 for a 6 pot, resonable i think

Back