Heatwave, drought, floods and my Shovel

The Drach Man

Club Member
Its been a hot one and I've tried to get out as much as possible, sweating and generally grimy in the sun. Carried iced water, wore a lighter, open leather jacket, tee shirt only, shades and a big grin. But nothing is forever.
Decided to travel my usual route to Lincoln on the Shovel yesterday despite being warned that the Midlands may experience thunderstorms....so, finish up my day, trot out to the bike and fire her up for the run back west through Newark.
Now I've lived here for decades, but somehow, my knowledge of Newark as that bit of the Trent floodplain that floods 🤔 completely deserted me, as did the roads, quickly being washed out as I progressed. Eventually all I could see was grey rain, all I could feel was my totally wet arse and crotch, but best of all, all I could hear was my engine thumping away to carry me safely home. Haven't ridden through a storm like that for many a year.

Cleaned the bike this morning and it seems most of Nottinghamshire mud, tarmac, grit and trees were still on it, but it fired up again without a complaint. It's why it's called a Shovel....😁

Last edited:
I'm originally from Thurgarton so know that area well.

You're right about Newark; regrettably, despite the fact that Tolney Lane sits right next to the Trent the residents seem to have escaped being drowned!

Back