Help me with my wiring

chopper

Club Member
PLEASE.................................. Im ready to strip this bloody thing and sell it for spares!

Basically im getting no spark

I have tested the Ohm output from the charging capacitor coil, the pickup, primary side of coil, the module i have had made has been tested on another running bike (thanks to Gypsy) the regulator tested (and i have a spare) I have made a new HT lead but still im getting no Spark.

I have made a loom up as below and added a key switch that connects the Yellow wire from the genny to the R side of the coil via the switch as suggested but im getting no spark at all

what can i test or check? im at the end of my tether with this thing, its built and ready to go pretty much all i need to do is get the thing to run!

Re: Help me with my wiring

I have made a loom up as below and added a key switch that connects the Yellow wire from the genny to the R side of the coil via the switch as suggested but im getting no spark at all

That is not how its drawn in the diagram.

I would suggest making a loom EXACTLY as per the wiring diagram you have included. Every wire and colour connected as per the diagram. See how you get on.

Lee

That is not how its drawn in the diagram.

Yea i thought that and tried it EXACTLY as the diagram, trouble is, if i do it as per diagram, as with 2 switches in it, all im doing is putting a earth into each side of the coil (tested)

The loom i have made is as below and i still have the original which i have tested every wire on and it is usable, its just the original ignition switch that is FUBAR and prevents me from using it without a massive amount of modification which i dont want to do in case i manage to fix the original ignition barrel

I have wired all the bikes i have built over the years but always used a modern electronic ignition and have very little experience with generators

thanks mate, have that already :) blown up in large scale on the wall of the garage :439:

I have wired all the bikes i have built over the years but always used a modern electronic ignition and have very little experience with generators

Is it me being thick but you mention generator and all the diagrams show alternators?

Sorry Nick that would be me :eek:, yes its a alternator not a Generator

Have you checked the HT lead and plug are good (even if new)?

What type of HT lead did you use? Copper core or carbon? I don't know if it makes a difference with your ignition system but worth confirming if it needs one and not the other.

Last edited:

I would suggest making a loom EXACTLY as per the wiring diagram you have included. Every wire and colour connected as per the diagram. See how you get on.

Lee

Maybe that's how it works. Magnetos ignition is switched off by grounding the coil, this may be similar. Maybe it only runs with the switch open.

Have you checked the HT lead and plug are good (even if new)?

What type of HT lead did you use? Copper core or carbon? I don't know if it makes a difference with your ignition system but worth confirming if it needs one and not the other.

its a copper core lead i bought and made up my own lead, plug is out of the king :)

Maybe that's how it works. Magnetos ignition is switched off by grounding the coil, this may be similar. Maybe it only runs with the switch open.

Now thats a bloody good point, perhaps it does!

On the original diagram,with the ign switch off,switch terminals 3 and 6 are connected.This would put the system to earth,so that when you kicked the bike,the small coil in the alternator would power the module,but the coil would be earthed.
With the original set up,if the switch is faulty and permanantly to earth,disconnecting the blue wire from the switch that goes to the coil earth post,should give you a spark.
Have you checked the air gap on the pickup by the alternator,it's the one with the ignition timing marks on it.

gonna play with it tonight hopefully, was going to last night but went for a ride and a beer with the boys instead :D

wohooooooooooooo

it sparks! what a knob ed cant believe it was as simple as me closing the switches when they should have been open :eek:

need to get some oil line and petrol hose and then i can see if i can get it to run for the first time in 33 years!

thanks guys, as always a fresh pair of eyes makes all the difference

Great stuff, wonderful to see it, brought back a lot of happy memories! :smile:

WOOHOOO!!

Good job!:60277EB7B04744289C0

Back