Help with bulb extraction

G

Gary_M

Not specific to twin cams but I changed my back indicator bulbs with some from a local motor accessory shop. They look the same as the originals except the retaining pegs are rounded (they are definately of an inferior finish) and they're orange. Anyway when I push and try to twist them out they wont twist. In fact they didn't twist on the way in they just pushed in against the resistance of the spring and seemed to lock in. I'm concerned if I force them they will break and I'll have to bucher them out. Any ideas or has anyone had the same problem?

Re: Help with bulb extraction

Paragon said:
Not specific to twin cams but I changed my back indicator bulbs with some from a local motor accessory shop. They look the same as the originals except the retaining pegs are rounded (they are definately of an inferior finish) and they're orange. Anyway when I push and try to twist them out they wont twist. In fact they didn't twist on the way in they just pushed in against the resistance of the spring and seemed to lock in. I'm concerned if I force them they will break and I'll have to bucher them out. Any ideas or has anyone had the same problem?

Replaced mine with orange lamps also (cheapo's), noted the locating pins were in different positions, just filed one off, twist n go.....job done!

MD

Moby_Duck said:
Replaced mine with orange lamps also (cheapo's), noted the locating pins were in different positions, just filed one off, twist n go.....job done!

MD

Thats what I've done...except the noticing and filing part. :mad:

Buy the right bulbs there are two types, inline pin and offset pin, most cars now use offset pin, H-D use inline pin.

You want.

Lamp type 382 - 180 degree inline pin bulbs.

Not

Lamp type 581 - 120 degree offset pin bulbs.

581diag.gif

They were definately 180 degree pins, they're in and they work but the ba$t@rds won't come out again:mad::eek:

I done the same as you. I did butcher mine (carefully) to remove them.

sidcupfred said:
I done the same as you. I did butcher mine (carefully) to remove them.

So did you discover how they had jammed or was it just poor tollerance on the location pegs:confused:

As you said they didn't lock in like the normal bulb. The only thing i can think of is that the pins were slighty different. I couldn't tell after i had modified with long nose pliers to remove them

343 bulbs are the same as 382 Indicator bulbs but Amber in colour, hope this helps
Burt

Back