help

Natra

would someone be good enough to tell me what i have to do to put my harley-davidson-riders.org.uk e-mail address into my outlook express system...as i have my old e-mail address running, but do not know what i have to put where to restart my hr email..my hard drive died, and so i am re-loading everything, i have some fairly important e-mails i needf to "recieve" and cant get to them, thanks.

oh and as ive just had xp re-installed how the hell do i stop these "messenger service" things appearing telling me that my all new virus and fault free system has 37 critical errors and a billion virus infections?

in desperation
Natrasleep

Re: help

Couple of questions...

Did you replace the drive? If so, is your old hard drive completely knackered, or can you recover any files from it? Chances are, unless your email is held on the server (and its unlikely if you are using your ISP for email, but you may have copies if you are using webmail or a MS exchange server). If you can access your old disk, Outlook Express stores your emails in a series of *.dbx files; if you can find them (usually somewhere in your Documents and Settings folder) and copy them to your new drive, you should be able to import them into your new setup. If you just formatted the drive, then its too late to recover anything. :eek: If you just reinstalled Windows without formatting, the files may still be there somewhere.

Have you got an up to date virus checker and firewall installed? You should have done this before attempting to connect to the internet.

Finally, you need to visit Microsoft Update (http://update.microsoft.com/) and download all the critical updates for your XP installation. If your XP is an early version you may need to install SP1 and/or SP2 if you have it (or download it if not: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/sp). I think Windows Update may only work for SP1 and above. You will need a broadband connection for this.

Not sure about setting up your HDRCGB email cos I don't have one of them yet :(, but I'm sure someone else will help with this.

old disk actually burnt out, well some of the components did, smoke and all sorts. virus check and firewall were the first things i re-installed, so it is a totally new hard drive, processer, motherboard etc, infact a total re build of the computer, everything that was on the original Hard Drive, gone, so i am re loading from back up disk, which does not contain everything as is about 6 months old...silly me.
xp service pack 2 all singing and dancing, infact virtually all programs etc are re-installed, just having one or two teething probs with the odd thing,
outlook express being one, but Roger has just given me the reason that i cant get into my old account with harley riders e-mail. ive tried to enter the wrong password. ooops..
thanks Mr grumpygit for the info

Natrasleep

Ouch! It's a bugger when that happens. :( I can live with replacing anything on my computer, except the hard disk. Its a real pain when you lose all that info.

Invest in a copy of Norton ghost. You can ghost the whole thing every few months and restore easily.

The easiest way to get them into your new install is to send yourself and email useing another email addres like hotmail or yahoo. When you recieve them you can right click and add them to your address book

you may find these pages helpful

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

http://forums.techguy.org/

As for stopping MSN loading i have posted a question on another forum, i cant remember what it is off the top of my head but it is dead easy. Will let you know as soon as i get an ansewer

Another quickie

Start/run type regedit, click ok. At the top of the page click on file then export. This will let you back up your registry to where ever you like. It's a good idea to do this before you add any apps, that way you have a dead safe way to go back. Uninstalling does NOT remove all entries into the registry.

My hard drive has 77gig of installed apps and the registry backup is about 45/50 MB. This is a deadsafe way to play with the registry

Found it !!!!

Start/run type MSCONFIG, on the top click the last tab 'startup'

untick MSN and it will not bither you again.

Don't get to carried away here though as you may give XP a headache lol

Back