Help!

S

Softailsi

So, in my infinite wisdom, thought it was a great idea to get a sidecar for my 06 fatboy. I bought a lightly damged Watsonian squire and repaired all the fibreglass, sorted all the electrics etc and bolted her on.

After messing about with geometry a little bit I'm finding it difficult to get set up. I have the bike leaning slightly away from the car, the car axle about 30 cm in front of the bike axle and a small toe in on the car.

My problem is it won't go left!! Slow speed is OK but over 35mph is not only feeling like it's going to snap my ape bars but I'm ending up on the wrong side of the road on country lanes etc and nearly had an incident the other morning.

Does anybody know anyone in the Midlands area that can help with my setup? This is my first outfit and I probably do should have got help in the first place, but hey, we've all been there right?

Any help or advice welcome

Cheers!

Simon

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Re: Help!

have a look on the sidecar federation site www.sidecars.org.uk I usually set them up with sidecar wheel approx. 9" in front of bike rear axle. tow in 1" at front. lean bike away from sidecar slightly and have the sidecar up approx. 1" at front.if you use leading link forks set the track parallel. make sure the sidecar is level from left to right. F2 Motorcycles in Wisbech are quite helpful. don't have a sidecar that is too light for the bike or it will spend more time in the air on left handers.

Thanks for the advice! Fuz from region 10 called me shortly after posting this and I popped over to Alan Bexon Motorcycles in Long Eaton where him and Alan are setting up a new workshop/MOT station.

With a bit of jiggery-pokery it appears that I was way out on my geometry and now it is actually possible to point and shoot rather than just holding on and hoping for the best!

So many thanks to everyone that helped, the rest is just a learning curve...

Simon

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

Piece of piss when ya know what you are doing Simon.... Honest :eek:
Thanks for the heads up.
Cheers,
Fuz.

Last edited:
Back