Hogwild

H

hogwild

Can anyone offer advice on this - My tyres are due for replacement on my 2002 Fatboy (130 rear model) I have heard that a 150 will go straight on, but dealers (naturally) say it needs the whole coversion package at around 700quid+ which aint gonna happen for such a small increase, has anyone fitted this 150 tyre to replace the standard 130?
otherwise I will stick to standard sizes. Also I see the metzelers are well rated on the forum, worth ditching the HD Dunlops for? and what are they like in the wet?

One last thing, can anyone comment on the V&H longshots grounding on the ends? I quite like the sound and not overly loud, but do they really touch down before the footplates? or is it only in certains circumstances?

Cheers & Thanks.....

Re: Hogwild

hogwild said:
Also I see the metzelers are well rated on the forum, worth ditching the HD Dunlops for? and what are they like in the wet?quote]

Metzelers changed my bike totally. No more tramlining on white lines, and much better grip in the wet. Total change in confidence for me in wet riding, although there are a few on here who are quite happy with the Dunlops. Maybe depends on your riding style.

Don't know about the 150: isn't there a rim width difference between the 130 and the 150 options?

wheel.jpg

Not exactly the same but I have fiited a Deuce rear wheel (160 section) in my FXDL without any problems, although the stock section tyre was a 150.

The whole issue with putting a wide tire on an 02 fat boy is the wheel off- set. To get the tire to fit into the fender you have to move the wheel over.
This can be done by changing the spacing, but with a four piston brake caliper you have to maintain the brake disc in the center.If you change the spacing without machining the caliper & mount (one piece) this gets thrown off.
With some simple measuring, some math & a decent machine shop you can do this yourself, depends how much you want a 150.
Oh & Metzelers every time. Phil.

Many Thanks for your replies guys, looks like I'm gonna stick to stock and change to the metzelers....

I have fitted 150 rear tyres to my 2000 Fatboy without any mods or problems, thought that TC Softails were the same whatever year :confused:

I have a 150 Metzeler on the rear of my 2001 Fatboy. Only mod I had to do was to turn the bolts round that secure the sissybar/rack as they protruded to much into the wheel arch space. Other than that fine. Much better confidence that the bike will go where I point it with Metzeler ME880's front & rear.

FBB

regarding longshots grounding i have staggered longshots on my 04 nighttrain (black of course) and they do ground on the tips.most of my riding is two up and i've only grounded them once solo so may not be a major prob if by yourself. i've also grounded the frame on left (interesting comments from my pillion ho ho) now THAT does get your attention. maybe i'm a bit enthusiastic in corners.

Back