I cannot do sailboat. How easy to change bars - Dyna Fat Bob.

Martz

Club Member
How on earth do you people with high bars cope? Finally got my Fat Bob delivered yesterday, and it came with high bars fitted. Of course the natural thing was to take it for a run. I can now state categorically, I do not do Cutty Sark impressions! Anything over 60 and I start going backwards!.:confused:
Fortunately the bike also came with the original risers and drag bars, cables etc.. How easy/hard is it to swap bars over? It looks quite straightforward until it comes to the wiring. I'm guessing the wiring was extended for the high bars, which isn't a problem, I'm more than a little handy with a soldering iron and electrickery. But it looks like the wiring goes into the frame at the headstock and dissapears under the tank somewhere. I pulled the grommets out of the frame but no sign of connectors apart from the headlight loom. I assume it;s going to be a tank off job? :unsure: Any help, suggestions or pointers would be gratefully received. In the meantime I'm sticking to 50. :D20230808_172023.jpg

Martz.

Its not that difficult. If the wiring is internal in the bars there are youtube vids with tips on how to do that. Make sure you buy bars with the right dimples for your switches. I think your biggest problem is where all those extended cables route

If putting the stock bars back on then clearly they will fit, dimples and all with the electrics being external.

Hopefully the previous owner didn't solder anything and got a reputable extension kit. HD didn't use any solder on the wiring and personally I wouldn't either.

I would guess the connections for the electrics are under the tank.

You have access to manuals on here so get that first and read up all there is to know about handle bars.

To access the electrical connector that will be hidden in the frame tube, remove the rubber grommet at the access point near the right hand side of the headstock (the grommet is split and can be removed by leveraging the grommet out at the point where it is split) the loom has enough slack in it to be able to pull the excess out of the frame tube, which will bring with it the connector between the front loom and main harness. The connector is a tight fit in the access hole and requires some careful pulling and leveraging to get it out of the frame. It’ll be tight, and you’ll probably decide the connector isn’t coming out, but with patience it will come out.

If you need to push some of the slack in the loom up from the middle of the bike, this can sometimes be done by undoing the rear tank mounts and lifting the rear of the tank to gain enough access to be able to push the loom up into the frame tube, and then pull the slack through from the front. On most Dyna’s its usually possible to get the connector out, without needing to lift the tank.

When refitting the connector into the frame, only push it in enough to refit the grommet and it’ll be easier next time you need to remove it 😉

Back