Idle air control (IAC) discard fasteners ?

Invasion1973

I ordered a new IAC. just been looking at service manual and it says to discard two fasteners. The IAC (Feuling) didn’t come with new fasteners.
was wondering how important this is what makes HD say discard them and use new fasteners ?
see attached image
thank youIMG_0583.jpeg

The only reason to "discard' fasteners, is if they are single use like stretch bolts on big ends or high pressure applications, or have a preloaded sealant on the thread.
For the second, use fresh Loctite, otherwise I don't see a problem with reusing fasteners in other applications as long as they are not buggered ---- Just my opinion.
If you are worried just get new ones from a reputable supplier such as Westfield, Namrick etc.

The only reason to "discard' fasteners, is if they are single use like stretch bolts on big ends or high pressure applications, or have a preloaded sealant on the thread.
For the second, use fresh Loctite, otherwise I don't see a problem with reusing fasteners in other applications as long as they are not buggered ---- Just my opinion.
If you are worried just get new ones from a reputable supplier such as Westfield, Namrick etc.
Thank you that makes sense. I’m assuming they would become quite hot, could they become brittle over time maybe ?

Thank you that makes sense. I’m assuming they would become quite hot, could they become brittle over time maybe ?
I assume they are Metal and not some form of Plastic? If metal then no, they wouldn't become brittle over a period of time.
From my experience with H-D instructions, they usually say discard a particular thing but the kit usually comes with a replacement for this discarded thing.

I assume they are Metal and not some form of Plastic? If metal then no, they wouldn't become brittle over a period of time.
From my experience with H-D instructions, they usually say discard a particular thing but the kit usually comes with a replacement for this discarded thing.
They are metal. You would have thought Fuelling would have supplied replacement screws. HD one does come with them but I couldn’t get hold of one anytime soon.

Put the original ones back. If you can figure out the thread pitch etc. there are plenty of places on the Net that do replacement Nuts, Bolts and Screws.
Try Spalding Fasteners. I have used them loads of times and they are great. 👍🏻

In the 2017 Sportster FSM it just calls for all the old locking agent to be removed and fresh 243 to be used on the existing screws.

With a torque of 5 ft-lbs or 6.8Nm I would think no problem on re-use.

Don't forget to put oil on the o-ring to help it move and not get torn.

Put the original ones back. If you can figure out the thread pitch etc. there are plenty of places on the Net that do replacement Nuts, Bolts and Screws.
Try Spalding Fasteners. I have used them loads of times and they are great. 👍🏻
Thanks I have put back originals. will check out Spalding fasteners 👍🏻

In the 2017 Sportster FSM it just calls for all the old locking agent to be removed and fresh 243 to be used on the existing screws.

With a torque of 5 ft-lbs or 6.8Nm I would think no problem on re-use.

Don't forget to put oil on the o-ring to help it move and not get torn.
Thank you. Made sure I put oil on the o-ring would be so easy to forget!

Back