Inconsistent running issue

Jchandler

Hey everyone hopefully someone can help, I’ve got an ‘03 XLH hugger sportster, my bike will run for 10 minutes then cuts so sometimes I can leave it for a while and it’ll start straight up and then I get stuck in that cycle, I’m not sure where to look I've been told to check the cdi ( should there be a red light on it, I’ve been told yes and no ) so if there’s a spark it’s fine? If not then that’s the problem am I correct? Been told it could be a fuel issue? Any help and advise would be much appreciated, thank you

Tested it this morning, there’s a spark on both cylinders and when running a flashing red light.
Still cuts out however have any of you had this issue?

You probably want to start by checking for any fault codes. A quick look on the web shows it isn't straight forward on that year but can be done.

Had a similar issue with a friends sportster many years ago. Turned out to be the ignition trigger going faulty when hot. You could try removing the cover and seeing if the cycle extends.

Could be something simple like a blocked fuel tank vent causing a vacuum and fuel starvation.
Not sure if it's a vented cap on that model but worth a look.

what ignition system is it running if it has a flashing red light when running? is the light in the nose cone on the ignition if so sounds like a hi-4

if it runs until hot i would say Simon is spot on, you have a faulty CDI that has cooked itself at some point, or if it is a hi-4 in the nose cone the early ones, plastic body, sometimes cooked themselves as well, later ones have a metal body to prevent

either way it sounds like you need a new one!

I'd check the simple things first. You've got a spark so check is cap venting, are all vacuum pipes attached (if applicable )and not perished. Is the carb in need of a clean (blocked jet, diaphragm ok?), is all well with the air cleaner assembly? All connections to carb/air cleaner, carb inlet manifold tight and not leaking. Then I'd move on to the other suggestions.

what ignition system is it running if it has a flashing red light when running? is the light in the nose cone on the ignition if so sounds like a hi-4

if it runs until hot i would say Simon is spot on, you have a faulty CDI that has cooked itself at some point, or if it is a hi-4 in the nose cone the early ones, plastic body, sometimes cooked themselves as well, later ones have a metal body to prevent

either way it sounds like you need a new one!

IMG_2778.jpeg

IMG_2781.jpeg

IMG_2782.jpeg

thats a stock 1999 XL883 ignition module, or at least a google of the part number thats written on it tells me that!

im not sure if its possible to test that, personally id be looking at a replacement set up, either a 2nd hand one on ebay or the like or a after market one like a HI-4 or the Ultima version which is half the price and from my experience just as good

Back