Insurance going up for women

L

Livia329

So, in December the insurance is going up 20% for women and coming down 9% for men after the EU ruled that the gender difference can't make any difference on premiums no matter the stats.

All I can find online is 'car insurance' but I'm wondering if bike insurance will be hit too? Has anyone on here heard anything to suggest it may?

Reason I'm asking is I have two choices:

1. SORN my bike to save tax and insurance until the winter eases off. (Insurance is a fair bit cheaper when I input a date passed a few months before the date I want to insure too).

2. Tax and insure my bike ASAP once mod2 is passed.

As I'm a new rider I am edging to go to the first option however, option 2 would be best if the insurance goes up... and I suppose it's an easy first few months to put towards my first year of bike NCB.

Thanks.

Re: Insurance going up for women

The best way of boosting your ncb is to insure something and not drive / ride it.

as a new rider you MUST do the miles, it the only way to get experience.

get in touch with a RoSPA group or IAM you can get a reduction in your insurance if you pass one of there tests.
and it will improve your riding .

john

Ta guys. So no one has heard anything regarding the insurance premiums rise?

as a new rider you MUST do the miles, it the only way to get experience.

get in touch with a RoSPA group or IAM you can get a reduction in your insurance if you pass one of there tests.
and it will improve your riding .

john

Of course, but if the winter is bad the truth is I most probably won't take the bike out, as the first few miles as a new rider probably shouldn't be done in the ice.

Thanks, looked them up. Will inquire when I am used to my bike.

1. SORN my bike to save tax and insurance until the winter eases off. (Insurance is a fair bit cheaper when I input a date passed a few months before the date I want to insure too).

Thanks.

As soon as you buy and take delivery of the bike, [even if you get it delivered to your garage] you will need insurance whether you use it or not. Fire & theft at least.

You will have to ask the insurance company. My bet would be it won't alter on bikes. Reasons for this are 1/ the much lower % of women riders and 2/I have not seen evidence of cheaper insurance for women riders. The big differences tend to be with young drivers.

When it comes down to it, insurance is still about market style negotiating hence the to and fro performance people go thru every year

As soon as you buy and take delivery of the bike, [even if you get it delivered to your garage] you will need insurance whether you use it or not. Fire & theft at least.

Hopefully your wrong there, I read and understood that if it was ofically declaired off road and declaired SORN with DVLA then it didn't need to be insuranced.

I coppied this of an offical site:

Will I need to insure my vehicle?

If you are the registered keeper of a motor vehicle - albeit one that's sitting in a garage unused - you need to make sure it's insured.
This applies equally to classic cars (even those that have a nil value tax disc), motorhomes and motorbikes that are only used a couple of times a year. Even if temporary insurance has sufficed previously this will no longer be the case.

The only way to get around insuring a vehicle you're not using is to officially declare it off-road by registering it as SORN. Doing so will exempt it from the compulsory insurance requirement.
The only exception to this is if your vehicle has not been taxed, insured or driven since before 31st January 1998.

Read more: New Compulsory Car Insurance Laws: How to Stay Legal | money.co.uk

Hopefully your wrong there, I read and understood that if it was ofically declaired off road and declaired SORN with DVLA then it didn't need to be insuranced.

I coppied this of an offical site:

Will I need to insure my vehicle?

If you are the registered keeper of a motor vehicle - albeit one that's sitting in a garage unused - you need to make sure it's insured.
This applies equally to classic cars (even those that have a nil value tax disc), motorhomes and motorbikes that are only used a couple of times a year. Even if temporary insurance has sufficed previously this will no longer be the case.

The only way to get around insuring a vehicle you're not using is to officially declare it off-road by registering it as SORN. Doing so will exempt it from the compulsory insurance requirement.
The only exception to this is if your vehicle has not been taxed, insured or driven since before 31st January 1998.

Read more: New Compulsory Car Insurance Laws: How to Stay Legal | money.co.uk

That may be so....

So if it's stolen/catches fire you loose everything!:60277EB7B04744289C0

No point in having a bike uninsured at home as your contents insurance won't cover it.

You will have to ask the insurance company. My bet would be it won't alter on bikes. Reasons for this are 1/ the much lower % of women riders and 2/I have not seen evidence of cheaper insurance for women riders. The big differences tend to be with young drivers.

Problem is insurances won't state because they don't want people cancelling their policy in order to re-insure for a full year to by-pass the rises for a bit. Seams like a pain in tha a$$ to me.

But yes what your saying does make sense.

Insurance companies don't tend to insure for bigger bikes without all tests being passed. Admiral do insure once you pass mod1 though. But yes SORN is the way to get away with not insuring and then have it as a named item under the house insurance.

However, that is another reason to insure ASAP.

Thanks for the replies guys.

There is an article in MCN thids week about Sorn Insurance

SORN insurance with MCE fully protects your bike from theft or mishap, providing the laid up cover you need without the unnecessary expense. Request a call back or call 0844 338 6872 for an instant quote.

Back