Interested in a Buell - anyone got one?

R

Riffter

Hi all -

I've recently been taken by the XBS Buells, and although I've read alot about them I've not heard anything first hand from owners.

I know the engines are from sporty's but how similarly behaved are they?
Are they nice and smooth throughout the rev range? If tuned do they get same carb fart probs as Sportys? Do they take ages to warm up in the colder weather, and do they behave OK in the English climate? And finally reliability - heard some dodgy rumours on this, are they true?

If I did take the plunge I'd get a test ride first just to make sure, but I can't afford brand new - would be looking at getting an '04 XB9S or an earlier model XB12S - can't make up my mind on the trade off between age and power.

Cheers folks, and if no-one owns a Buell, does anyone know of any good forums/sites with relevant info??

Cheers

Riffter

Re: Interested in a Buell - anyone got one?

Don't know where you live but Dave Barringer at Northants V-Twin is a massive Buell fan. Call him on 01604-588-006. He is a bit of an expert! :cool:
Lynne. :D

I bought a new XB9SX last year Rifter.

I loved it. So light and manouvreable. Great round corners. I only did 600 miles on it so didn't really get the chance to go mad on it at all as I was waiting for its first service.

Unfortunately becuase my cholesterol was high I didn't ride it through the winter & went back to my push bike. Then came spring & all I wanted to ride was my Harley then along came the chance of the softail deluxe so I traded both bikes in for it.

So there's a nearly new Buell in St.Legers with only 600 miles on it that might be a bargain for you. haven't seen a price on it but they've got a few Buells in so they'll be keen to sell some.

Finances permitting I'd love to have another as a second bike again. It was great fun.

Bully gave me some links to some Buell sites if you want to look further into it. I can post them later if you wish.

Only thing I didn't like about my Buell is that I'm a short arse and it was a bit too tall for me, even with the lower seat on it :eek:

Kendo :)

As Kendo says some Buell websites have a look at www.ukbeg.com I have an xb9s it is brill i never stop smiling when i ride it. As for carb probs it is fuel injected :D
If you are at Talgarth look for the horse of a diffrent colour. Yes it has now been repainted in colour change paintwork.;)

Nice one fellas - some cool sites there!

Yeah - read the speck between times and realised they were FI'd mate. Nice one - how is the FI? Nice and smooth or juddery at times? And do they have a tendency to shake themselves to bits like Sportys?

I've got around 4 grand to throw at it, and I've seen quite a few XB9S's on '04 plates with miniscule milage. I'm looking at an '01/'02 plated 12 for similar money with much more milage generally - so I reckon I'll be going for the 9. Has the 9 got plenty enough power for you guys?

I want a streetfighter with awesome torque that pulls nicely thru the rev range, and the XB seems to fit the bill up to now. Went and flung my leg over a couple yesterday at DK and found 'em well comfy - I was pretty much taken (not with DK's prices though!!) And the looks are to die for!! Only thing that comes close is the new Speed Triple, but it's outta my price bracket, and it ain't a twin (love the 'feel' of twins!) and the Buell would complement my Hog nicely :)

So now my only stumbling lock is down to how they run. If you have any negative experiences with Buells at all I'd love to know fellas - if not I'm laughing.

BTW - sweet colours Bully, and sweet bike!!:D

Cheers

Riffter

Rifter,

Just book a test ride on one. All the dealers have test bikes. Try both the 9 & the 12 to see what you think. Folk have told me they prefer the 9 as the 12 engine can be a bit lumpy.

I've had an 883 sportster too and the motor feels a lot different in the Buell. A lot more grunt and with the bike being so much lighter it really pulls. When I took a test ride the guy told me to watch how I pull away and how I stopped. he said they wheelie so easy and they stop soooooooooo quick. The brakes are awsome. Just try one, you'll be hooked. I'd have another one tomorrow :cool:

Kendo :D

Hi guys
Took a Buell xb12r in p.x. a few weeks back,black and orange with the race kit fitted,must say i'm very impressed with the whole package it does everything really well,it is not a full on sportsbike like my 916 but more like a harley on steroids,and it sounds well nice!! this one is up for sale it is a 53 plate with system 3 alarm, fresh rubber,brand new original pipe and e.c.u. the race kit was fitted when new ?4995 if interested p.m. me for more details and piccys.
Cheers
Captain:rolleyes:

Back