Just brought 2005 883 Sportster, 1st ever Harley.

E

edgey

Hi

Just purchased a 2005 (05) 883 sportster with 3000 miles on the clock for ?3900, brought on a bit of a whim so dont know if i got a good deal or not (bike is mint).

Always owned jap bikes up till now but sooooooo bored of them fancied something "interesting" for a change.

Any known faults or problems to look out for??

Also any one know where i can get good quality pattern parts or am i stuck with genuine Harley stuff.

Regards Edgey

Re: Just brought 2005 883 Sportster, 1st ever Harley.

Congrats on the new bike Edgey.

I have ridden mainly Jap bikes, came from a CBR600 to a 1200 Sportster ,then decided I missed the speed ,suspension ,and brakes of a jap bike so swapped the sporty for another CBR :eek: .Didnt take me long to realise my mistake, and so am now back on ?? can you guess?? a 1200 sporty :D .

Can't answer your questions ,although if you are looking for accessories ,you can either buy from http://www.guernseyharleydavidson.com/ where you will not have to pay VAT + Free delivery ...or even cheaper ,you can order from a few US websites,and even with Courier Delivery still be quids in . I have used www.chicagoharley.com with good results .Others will recommend different firms though.

Congratulations on buying the sporty.
Now is the time to start smiling, you'll probably never stop.

I've gotta '05 883, excellent machine, no major problems. Only one niggle on my machine is that occasionally the speedo stops working for a few seconds, weird fault - been looked at a couple of times at the dealers, no fault found:confused: .

However a great machine, I love it. :D :D

I'm no expert but i would say youve got a bit of a deal...........lets see some pics..................and welcome..........where are you from?

Tones said:
Only one niggle on my machine is that occasionally the speedo stops working for a few seconds, weird fault - been looked at a couple of times at the dealers, no fault found:confused: .

. :D :D

hi Tones - check your battery connections. Its probably nothing to do with the speedo

All Harleys have one big fault..................you just want to ride the damm things all the time :):):)

Hi Edgey,

Welcome.gif

I'd say you got a GOOD price there, as a dealer would have put that out for around ?4,750. I hope you have a great time riding it - my first HD was an 883 and I have never looked back since the happy day I acquired it!
party.gif

If you become a regular contributor here I expect I will see ya around.

Take care,

Pete

Hawkeye said:
All Harleys have one big fault..................you just want to ride the damm things all the time :):):)

Dont forget the other BIG fault.......spending money on 'em:D

Welcome Edgey:)

Wow....excellent deal for one of the new rubbermount Sportys. Come and join the club - you'll find a whole new world out here......

Hi

Thanks all for the kind replys.

I live in the midlands so if there are any runs in the summer let me know.

Kind regards

Mark

Have a look at the regions on the forum and just turn up to a meeting or give the area rep a phone. Come and join in.
Alan B

win307 said:
Some had a fault with lower fork brace(hairline crack).
Mine had that; bought new in January 2005. If yours is much later than that you may not get it. If it's an earlier one it would probably have had the problem surface by now and been fixed. Mine was fixed at the dealer, no quibbles (new triple tree). I also had some very minor corrosion under the clear coat at the top of the fork lowers; also replaced under warranty, with chrome ones.

As for the parts, I agree that Guernsey H-D are very good. Not convinced yet that there are big savings to be had buying Harley parts direct from the States, but you could try Discount Biker (generally 20-25% off).

In my (admittedly fairly limited) experience I'd say that the Harley parts and accessories are generally very good quality (not the SE air filter though!). Good quality after market parts is one thing, but there's some cheap cr@p out there as well.

I'd recommend J&P Cycles for non Harley parts.

Anyway, welcome, and I hope you enjoy your Sportster as much as I do mine.

Back