Ken's 1912 Excelsior

Re: Ken's 1912 Excelsior

Ken has had a bad experience with starting a bike inside - he started his 25FE (with chair) to see if a poor thread on an inlet chamber (what gives the name "pocket valve") lock ring would hold ok and it let go, the assembly shot up into the (full) tank and dumped fuel onto the sparking motor and almost the whole recently restored bike went up in flames. The photos were heart breaking.

Whilst preparing for a fishing trip in the shed where my dad's recently parked Francis Barnett was stored, I accidentally tipped a couple of pints of maggots over the bike. The smouldering sawdust and roasting maggots were a little frightening for a ten year old but I man'd-up and sorted it. My brother dobbed me in though, resulting in my backside receiving it's customary dusting and I didn't get to go fishing. I hated that bike, how I ended up being a motorcyclist is something of a mystery.
No real harm done, though, unlike with Ken's misfortune. You can't effectively dust your own backside.
I hope he had the fortitude to do it all again.

Firstly Simon - this was years ago, the garage was ok but the bike looked a mess.
Second - "Hector", yes he bounced back and kept on restoring.

Ah false news........I think Ken was amused when asked if it had happened again. rolleye

Just to let you know, Ken had a mate ride the Excelsior (why not me, eh??!) and he rode his 1904 Smith, he made excellent time and was second to arrive at Brighton. Our Will made it down on his Indian and there was someone there on a Harley single, possibly a 1912? model 8? (couldn't get a good look and when I got into the "paddock" he was leaving).

Back