Lightning spark plugs

T

TJ's

I've to replace the spark plugs on my lightning as it's been coughing a bit from low RPM acceleration. Do i need anything special? I'm guessing its just a case of removing the air cleaner and seat and thats it i've got full access to both plugs?

Re: Lightning spark plugs

Hi TJ's that's about it. Here's what the book says:-

Replace every 10,000 mile (16,000 km) service interval.

Use only Harley-Davidson 10R12A spark plugs.
1. Remove left side air scoop to access front cylinder spark
plug.
2. Disconnect spark plug wire from front spark plug.
3. Using a 5/8 in. box end wrench and 5/8 in. spark plug
socket, remove front spark plug.
4. Remove seat.
5. Remove air cleaner assembly.
6. Disconnect spark plug wire from rear spark plug (use
automotive spark plug boot remover/installer if required).
7. Using a 5/8 in. wobble socket and 12 in. extension,
remove rear spark plug.

You probably have done it by now but better late than never:)

Cheers Rob!
I haven't done it yet, been away on work so much haven't even looked at it! It's good to make sure i've got the right tools before hand. Thanks for your help!!!:60277EB7B04744289C0

When will Buell (and harley for that matter) end their love affair with superglue????

I got the plugs and spanners and the T25 start screwdriver to take off the airbox and everything superglued in place. I don't mean stud grade, i mean locktite! Got the airbox cover off but cannot undo the 4 T25 star head bolts that hold the air box base in place, it broke the screwdriver head!!!!

What do i do now. Complain to a dealer about poor build qaulity? It's just out of warranty by a month or two and the airbox has never been off before....

OK, all done! All my fault! The bolt heads were T27 not T25, when you buy a set of star heads you'd expect all the sizes really wouldn't ya! It took the thcik end of a mornin and 2 mates tool boxes to find a T27! Still p'd off with the locktite thing tho!
Bikes running just right now!

All good above, just take care not to cross thread the rear plug when you are putting the new one in, it can be a bit fiddly to line up.

:)

I allways put a bit of copper grease round the plug thread , makes it go in an undo later easier.
the front plug will be easy to get too if you remove the air scoop , the rear will need the seat and air box removing.
a good tip , put a small cable tie round the ht lead it stops water running down the front ht lead from the air scoop, in heavy rain..
i found this out the hard way.
oh yeah an put one round the top of the rubber over the clutch cable adjuster (in front of the motor).:169B9ADF431545348BC:60277EB7B04744289C0
this will stop water getting in yer transmition oil.

Last edited:

im running my xb12ss on hgk iridium and it runs better than the genuine harley(champion) originals
and i found the front one harder to do, to easy to cross cos very difficult to refit cos of the frame stopping your view

glad i got a tuber then plugs easy as anything to change , Mind it still coughs and barks alot and thats just the bike :439:

Same as Jinx:D 5/8" open ender is all I need, jobs done in 5 minutes,:439:

S1 old skool Buell.

:D:D yeh but wheres the fun in not struggling ...

Back