Making small indicators Flash -How?-

B

Buddy

help...

Fitting small indicators to Sporty - but - they have smaller bulbs than standard and won't flash... How can I fool the flasher unit to make it work?:(

Any suggestions - preferably easy and cheap!

Buddy

Re: Making small indicators Flash -How?-

I think that you have to put a gizmo in between the flashers & the switch, I've got one & all I know is that it is called a badlander (or made by them) fits under the seat on my FXSTC.

You need a load equaliser!

Thanks all - i'll search out a load equaliser and hopefully my problems will go away. :) I'll be flashing in no time:rolleyes:

Buddy

I think you can just do it 'on the cheap' with resistors but robbiemac is your man to ask!!

yep its a resistor made to dummy the load of a regular bulb, as the flasher unit is load sensitive.
as it stands the resistance of a 5watt bulb will be 2.4Ohm
so either 4 x 2.4Ohm resistors and bridge the wiring across each bulb.
remember the flasher module needs to see load front and rear before it will flash.

Thanks all - I looked at the techy stuff and then ordered one from CCI:rolleyes:

Maybe next time i'll save the money and buy a load of resistors.

Buddy

I think you can just do it 'on the cheap' with resistors but robbiemac is your man to ask!!

yes you can do this, did this on my shovel when I was running austin a35 sidelights as indicators

resisters are cheap and trial and error will get it right, a lot cheaper than buying another black box

just remember that resistors are load rated, they dissipate energy as heat as in the form of for instance the bars on an electric fire, to put it simply.
if you have, "a no load led" or bank of them, and you wish to simulate a load using a resistor/s then that load will......
A, create heat (a fire consideration?)
B, if you use a resistor rated at say 1/2 or a 1/4 watt, then bear in mind that the load of a normal indicator lamp is 5 watts, 10 watts if you consider back and front together.
so you need a resistor rated to carry 5 watts or 10 watts dependant on how you configure the lamps.

59_2.JPG

the above being a load resistor note the heat sink.

resistor.jpg

the above is not a load resistor, very common very cheap, but will not do the job as it will burn out.

Back