MC Shield - another excellent freebie

Roger

Club Member
Basically, you plug in a USB drive or stick and you can get infected. This stops it happening. It takes up virtually no memory and is fully automatic once installed.

Download MCShield to your desktop and install
It will initially run a scan and show the result as a toaster by the system clock
Then in the control centre select scanner and tick unhide items on flash drives
mcshield%20unhide.JPG

Plug in the drive and McShield will start a scan. If it does find anything, you can contact me for assistance

More Information from Borislav ?urbat who wrote it with his colleague Boban Spasić
MCShield is an active (preventive) anti-malware program designed to prevent infections transmitted through removable drives.

What are removable drives?
You connect a piece of electronics - a new device appears listed in Windows Explorer with a drive letter and you can read/write data from/to it. That's a removable drive.
Many smartphones are recognized as media devices and they can not be accessed like ordinary flash drives.
MCShield can not scan these nor can malware infect them.

So, MCS scans removable drives. Now you're wondering why it scans hard drives. Right?
Well, a HDD can also be connected to another PC. Most worms will infect HDDs also, so we need to run a short scan to make sure users don't get infected when they start clicking around.

When it comes to optical drives (images or physical disks): these are not a common target of worms (not that easy to infect a CD).

Thus, they are not targeted. Even if we would try, what could we do on read-only media?
To begin with, a short FAQ - aka, myth busting.
smile.gif.pagespeed.ce.8xZGdnoS_z.gif

Q: I have an antivirus, why should I use MCS?
A: Because your fancy expensive AV is a signature based peace of s... with totally miserable detection ratio of new malware.
Simply, AV needs a signature, MCS in 99.9% cases does not. Our goal is not to compete with AVs, but to fill the time gap between malware and signature release. They are made to detect known malware, MCS is made to recognize the unknown.

Q: I use USB Vaccine (or some other so called immunizer), why should I use MCS?
A: These tools create a hard to delete file (just hard, not impossible) on your flash drive which gives a certain amount of protection against autorun based worms on ancient operating systems and absolutely no protection on modern versions of Windows.
To make things worse, Autorun is just one infection vector. There are many other and MCShield is made to handle all.
It deletes or renames malware related files and folders and takes care of the attributes of legitimate items on the drive in case it suspects that malware modified them.

Q: I have a (some popular "usb antivirus"), why should I use MCS?
A: You're talking about the $55 half-rogue peace of crap whose only purpose is to delete all autorun.inf files?
Seriously now; MCS is far from perfect, but compared to that and similar (pardon the lack of modesty): MCS is indeed superior.

Re: MC Shield - another excellent freebie

Hi Roger

i also have malwarebytes installed is it ok to run this as well?.

Cheers

Dale

Back