Messed up thread on rubber engine mount

B

BingoDakota

Was farting around with my Premium Oil Cooler today and when time came to tighten her up I think I messed up one of the threads on the rubber engine mount (thread on the bolt looks ok). The bottom bolt is nice and tight but the upper one, though pretty tight, will nip up a little tight then go loose. Is there any fix to this or am I looking at a new mount?

Any thoughts on what to do?

Any ideas however wacky would be appreciated.

Bingo

Last edited:
Re: Messed up thread on rubber engine mount

That is quite commom, due to the stupid, too short self tapping fasteners.
Take it back out, get something thin, poke it in the hole to the measure the length (which is way longer than the original bolt).
Run a tap down it, & put in two correct length fasteners, should be fine.
Do them one at a time & the mount will not drop out of position.
Use blue loc tite.
Thread is 3/8-16.

Phild, thanks for the advice. I take it that a fastener is something like an insert that fits inside the newly tapped whole. Do you know where I might order these things from, or a brand name? Ive never tapped anything before - difficult job?

Thanks again

BingoDakota said:
Phild, thanks for the advice. I take it that a fastener is something like an insert that fits inside the newly tapped whole. Do you know where I might order these things from, or a brand name? Ive never tapped anything before - difficult job?

Thanks again

I think Phil means just tap out (to the original dimension) the holes for their entire length and put in longer bolts (fasteners) :cool:

Ohhhhhh, thanks CrazyIvan (that sounds a bit easier). Ill get on the net and look for a set of tapping tools.

Thanks again.

Haaaaaaa! Sorry, just getting too American. Fasteners=bolts.:cool:

Back