Mileage on a used Fat Boy

Lnacstony76

Club Member
Afternoon All,

I am just in the final processes of buying a 2015 Fat Boy which has just over 25,000 miles on the clock and I was just wondering if this is an excessive mileage?

My own view is that its a 9 year old bike so works out at just under 3000 miles a year so it doesn't bother me but someone made the comment that it seems a high mileage etc so they planted that seed in my mind and just thought I would ask you guys for your views on it

I'm getting it from a dealer and it comes with 12 months warranty and all that stuff and if anything did go wrong with it, as long as its not massively major, then that's part of owning an older bike.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Anthony

No I would say that's definitley not excessive.
Go for it & with a dealer (I assume HD dealer) warranty you cant really go wrong. 👍

No I didnt think it was too bad to be honest, just when someone puts that seed of doubt in your mind and it nags away, cant wait to get it, just waiting on some new grips going on and then hopefully will be delivered in the not too distant future

Thanks for the replies has set my mind at ease

Good engines when looked after (see above points) - I seem to remember Bazas was around 120k, Macs around 110k and mine is on 66k. No doubt there are more around.

Reactions: M&M
I suppose it seems high ,because most Harleys don't do much mileage.But of course it's not high meager for a engine like that .My 2002 FLSTF Has done 12000 but that is crazy low.When I sold my 98 evo w glide I had for 19 years it had done 22000 .
It just happened that I bought it in 2004 as I retired from biking 40 mile to work and back 6 days a week .As regards the cam chain tensioner pads I would defo check that out as its done 25000.

It's barely run in. Most H-Ds on the market worldwide are/were used as weekend toys and so 25,000 miles is *slightly* unusual.
My 2019 has 40,000 miles on the clock. I'm hoping to get to 150,000 before I'm too old to ride, and that's not moon miles on a carefully maintained touring bike these days.

Yes I agree .I bought my first Harley in 89 and 2nd one around 96 and rode near every day to work and back .when I retired in 04 I could not live without one so bought a immaculate low mileage FXDWG .Rode that as a toy ,and same with the present one I have a immaculate 02 FLSTF One owner from new also used it as a toy .These engines are made for high mileage.

20231124_171129.jpg

I can only echo what's been said, if the bike has been looked after and well maintained 25k miles is absolutely nothing! A low mileage bike that's been barely used and stood parked up in a garage for nearly a decade would be of more concern. Bikes are like humans, regular exercise is better than a couch potato!

Go for it Anthony, enjoy it and above all ride it and pile on those miles - your in the RIDERS club.

PS - post a pic or two when you get it. 😎

For the mileages some of you have put up I have to cheekily say you don't seem to get out much!

I have done 28,500 miles on my 7 year old Sportster and my partner has done 22,000 miles in 6 years on the Sportster trike conversion I put together for her. We all lost a good year of riding as well.

A bit late to the party here, on any Evo and post Evo, 25k miles is not high, all I would like to see is the oil changed at least annually regardless of miles done!

I would be far more wary of one that has not done may miles, especially if it has not been serviced annually.

I think you'll find a lot of H-D owners, unless they actually tour a fair bit, will even do 3K miles a year!

I have the privilege of having a fleet of bikes to ride and generally only one needs an oil change due to mileage it covers each year, the rest get one regardless & serviced annually.

My Brother-in-law owns a 2007 wide glide with 700 Miles on the clock yep 700 miles it's sat in his garage since 2008 I've tried to buy it and he ain't selling even though he won't ride it and hasn't even looked at it since 2008 it makes my blood boil that he doesn't even care about it but won't sell it

Thanks for the replies everyone, nothing really to worry about then, I guess you can have issues with a new bike as much as an older one and yes I see the thing about an older bike with lower miles as its not been used possibly as much, suppose buying most things these days is a gamble anyway as I have just found out with my car!

The deal has now been done and the bike gets delivered on the 24th April, its a Harley dealer I am getting it from so it will be including the warranty they give on second hand bikes, cant wait! will get some pics up as soon as I can!

Cheers,

Anthony

I do take issue with the low mileage I do as regards my age now, because at 83 I retired 20 years ago ,but as regards Harleys I rode 2 sporties to work and back in all kinds of weather from 89 to 2004 .Stacked up the mileage on both of them .And my wide glide that sat in.my garage weeks after weeks after I retired had only 18000 on it but I changed the oil every year regardless of using it and that bike never gave me one single problem .
Even though it was a garage queen.lol

Was doing 15,000 a year when i had just the Dyna ,,,
now do around 5,000 on the shovel and 5000 on the BMW ,,,plus a 1500 on the Pan .
its a riders club after all ,,,,

When I was at work I rods 20 mile to work got in a artic and did around 300 miles a day. Getting on that sportster was the highlight of my day to ride 20 miles home . I often finished work at 3.30 am So rode home on dark empty roads .way before that I was riding home in the 70s and late 80s on Honda and Yamaha.Up the A13 and A2.Used to open tbe Harley up in Dartford tnnl long before they built the bridge .Great hearing those turn outs bounce off the walls. AH Memories.

It's barely run in. Most H-Ds on the market worldwide are/were used as weekend toys and so 25,000 miles is *slightly* unusual.
My 2019 has 40,000 miles on the clock. I'm hoping to get to 150,000 before I'm too old to ride, and that's not moon miles on a carefully maintained touring bike these days.
Dave you need to come back home mate, and enjoy the rain, lol, hope you are well.

Back