New bike time

M

Mike-UK

Hi all- I think it's finally time to buy myself a new bike.

I think I have decided on a Softail but I keep changing my mind on which one - current preference is a Street Bob because I'm not a massive fan of chrome and I quite like the minimalist blacked out look of the it. I also like the practicality of the Sport and the Heritage , the retro looks of the Slim, the classic look of the Low Rider and the cool factor of the Fat Boy and Breakout - anyway you get the idea...

My current bike is a Buell X1 which in my opinion is one of the best most fun bikes ever built - insert comments here:) - anyway that is going to stay but the downside of it is that it's not that practical and I need a bike I can just jump on and just ride with space for luggage etc. That's the background - I've practised the sales pitch to my wife a number of times....

The reason for the post is to ask for recommendations for a good dealer - I live in Swindon but work during the week in Kent so I guess I have a number of choices. I want a dealer who I can trust to sort out a stage 2 install properly and take care of me if there are any warranty issues.
The last Harley dealer I walked into (I won't say which one) felt more like a BMW car dealership and they were only interested in you if you looked as though you had money to spend ???? Is there such a thing as a proper 'biker' Harley dealer anymore - I would travel to give them my money.

I would appreciate any help or comments.

Cheers
Mike

Re: New bike time

Hi mate. Heritage every time�� and my 2nd choice would be the dyna. Guildford would be my choice of steelership.

every one has a different dealership they prefer. Mine is Warrs Fulham. Excellent parts manager and service/work shop manager both been around Harleys for ever. Never lied to me yet. Personally i don't give Guildford a penny. But that's just me

Have fun :)

Welcome Mike. Good luck!

The issue with Harley dealers is that franchises now cost so much that the only companies that can afford to buy into the Harley dealership world actually ARE car sales giants or venture-capital groups. This is not a joke, been that way for at least 15yrs.

Thus, you really ARE dealing with former car salesmen/women, for the most part. My experience is that the sales staff are the least knowledgeable people in the shop when it comes to talking about the motorcycles.

You will not find a spit and sawdust official DEALERSHIP run by greybeards anywhere in the world now.

The best you can hope for is a long-time family-owned franchise where the owner goes back a few decades as a Harley enthusiast. Rare.

Find a bike you like, and a workshop you hear good things about, and try to ignore the impressions sales staff give you. There is no doubt that Warr's in London know their stuff. But the workshop is only as good as its worst mechanic. Hope you get some decent tips. I can't offer first-hand recommendations.

I will be in your position next year. And if I am to buy new, there is only one dealership I will go to. The owner (family franchise) proudly speaks Shovelhead and has rescued riders of very old Harleys from the roadside and prioritised their on-the-road needs in his workshop. Just like it used to be, as set down by Harley HQ!

New bike time

Why not buy second hand, from a fellow enthusiast..? I personally would never give a ?dealer? my money... it could mean waiting for the right bike, of course. Call me cynical, but is there such thing as a ?good? dealer..? Surely it?s only Warr?s that genuinely have any ?heritage? anymore (pun intended)!

Last edited:

Ive had 2 bikes from Warrs. Ask for rob, he will treat you fairly. Hes a good bloke. They have sorted any recall warranty issues as well. I wont comment on the workshop as i service my own bike where possible.

Riders of Bridgewater.

On my second visit they remembered my name and were very helpful.

My bike was SE 117 kitted and later (8 months) developed a minor weep at the base gasket so they took it back, stripped and rebuilt it without hesitation. They gave me a nearly new Heritage to use until the work was completed.

I think these guys have offered me the most customer focused service out of all the dealerships I have been to.

An absolute pleasure.

Last edited:

Thanks for all of your helpful comments!

Yes the investment required to operate a Harley dealership these days must be huge which turns them into revenue hungry corporate organisations with sales growth targets and mean eyed accountants in suits running them. I will give Warrs a call and to be fair I've dealt with Riders before and they were pretty good..
I guess I will have to bite the bullet and take off my rose tinted sunglasses if I want a new one.

Good point re: secondhand - but from what I've read the M8 Softails are a huge improvement this year so hence that option. Although I know I could get a very nice Twin Cam Ultra for the same money - more options!

I've just sold my Twin Cam Road King which I did 20k miles on during the last couple of years - I'm only saying that because I did all my own maint (including cams and hydraulic cam chain tensioners upgrade) - so I definitely prefer to do my own work on my bikes. The problem with that with a new bike is the warranty - I believe it would be void if I installed the cam myself and did the routine maint?horrified

During my 30 odd years of riding bikes I've only ever had 1 brand new bike (a 1979 CX500 - my dad forced me to buy it instead of a second hand GS1000 I really wanted :)) so the idea of a new bike is appealing - but a low mileage Ultra would also be very nice - too many choices ...

All the best
Mike.

Thanks for all of your helpful comments!

Yes the investment required to operate a Harley dealership these days must be huge which turns them into revenue hungry corporate organisations with sales growth targets and mean eyed accountants in suits running them. I will give Warrs a call and to be fair I've dealt with Riders before and they were pretty good..
I guess I will have to bite the bullet and take off my rose tinted sunglasses if I want a new one.

Good point re: secondhand - but from what I've read the M8 Softails are a huge improvement this year so hence that option. Although I know I could get a very nice Twin Cam Ultra for the same money - more options!

I've just sold my Twin Cam Road King which I did 20k miles on during the last couple of years - I'm only saying that because I did all my own maint (including cams and hydraulic cam chain tensioners upgrade) - so I definitely prefer to do my own work on my bikes. The problem with that with a new bike is the warranty - I believe it would be void if I installed the cam myself and did the routine maint?horrified

During my 30 odd years of riding bikes I've only ever had 1 brand new bike (a 1979 CX500 - my dad forced me to buy it instead of a second hand GS1000 I really wanted :)) so the idea of a new bike is appealing - but a low mileage Ultra would also be very nice - too many choices ...

All the best
Mike.

Hmm -not sure what happened with the double post....

You could be right re: the second hand option - now let's open ebay and check-out the used M8's:encouragement:

Do you know what you want yet? Heritage sounds the most relevant to your requirements.

Surely you just pick a bike and spec and play off 2 - 3 dealers against one another for the best price?

Treat the exercise the same as buying a car from a dealer.

If you are buying on finance (PCP), ask what the 'dealer contribution' is to the vehicle. If you are buying the bike outright, I would expect the cash discount to match the dealer contribution (at the least). You can also negotiate on parts & labour.

If you want a new HD (M8), are you sure it will need performance work etc? Surely you would be better off buying the bike, then modding the engine after the warranty has expired. Alex at Fast Lane was posting on this topic on here recently.

Personally, I'd buy an Evo heritage and get it modified to my taste, it would cost less and you would make your money back.

I'd be giving the Blade group (oxford & cheltenham HD) a very wide berth. Dealership razamatazz with dream deliverers not salesmen enough to put you off the brand for life.

So what Guildford have told me about doing your own work on a new M8 and Warranty is that it's fine to to your own servicing, and other work on the bike. However - if you go into the engine or transmission by yourself or use non-HD parts, then the powertrain warranty will be void. You CAN have an independent (and HD Certified) shop or mechanic do the work with HD parts and keep the warranty though.

I had GHD do my cam install for this reason - and it was also the only reason I got an HD cam. 5 hours labour to do it.

Good luck with choosing a bike. The new M8 Softails are very nice.

So what Guildford have told me about doing your own work on a new M8 and Warranty is that it's fine to to your own servicing, and other work on the bike. However - if you go into the engine or transmission by yourself or use non-HD parts, then the powertrain warranty will be void. You CAN have an independent (and HD Certified) shop or mechanic do the work with HD parts and keep the warranty though.

Having been down the Warranty route with all three HD bikes (Sportster and two Twin Cams) I have owned, my personal experience is........every dealer will look for any possible wriggle angle not to assist on Warranty claims during the initial 24 months and if you did not buy the bike from them initially it's even harder to get things sorted.

If you want to minimise this wriggling, get the same dealer you purchased the bike from to service it in the initial 24 month Warranty period if buying new and also get them to do any mods. If something goes wrong they have no room to wriggle.

Every dealer appears to be set up that they ultimately make the decision on weather your claim is valid and worthy, so a relationship is worth it's weight in Gold should you ever need to make a claim. After the initial 24 months you can do what you like......unless you buy an extended Warranty.

Frankly with the M8 issues that have come to light since release to market I would not give them any opportunity to wriggle out of their obligations to support a Warranty claim suggesting things like the exhaust is fitted incorrectly, the mapping is wrong etc..etc...

Thanks for all of your comments - very helpful!

I'm going a arrange a test ride on either a Low Rider or Street Bob and go from there. I have one of those extra large Deemeed bags so I only need a sissy bar and rack and I'm sorted for luggage.

I'll keep you posted.

BTW - I finished the Buell winter upgrade project today (new oil pump drive, upgraded primary tensioner, stainless fasteners etc) and it's back in one piece and on the road again. Took it for a blast this morning and it still brings a huge smile to my face :)

Okay - quick update. I went to my closest HD dealer on Sat (Oxford) and took a Sport Glide out for a test ride with my brother on a Yamaha XSR 900 and a mate on a Triumph Rocket 3. I probably rode it for around 30 - 40 miles through towns and fast A roads - so a pretty good mix..

Initial thoughts - this is damned easy to ride and actually pretty quick..

The marketing blurb is fairly accurate - it is a massive step forward - or at least it seemed it to me from my Stage 2 04 Road King. There is hardly any vibration, and the step up in power/torque is very noticeable. The brakes worked really well (I was surprised at how good the single front disc on the front actually was) and the handling was really good - I could see the Triumph Rocket in the mirrors getting well out of shape going through some bumpy twisties - but the Harley was very stable and absorbed the bumps without any issues. So far so good...

Downsides - seat - too hard, the screen didn't deflect much wind (you can get a taller screen) and the panniers look a bit cheap. Other than that it's a very accomplished package.

Would I fork out my cash for one - hmm I'm not sure... As the question I kept asking myself was where has all the character gone? I couldn't figure out if the lack of character was just simply the lack of noise (as the exhaust is goddamned quiet) or if it was something more fundamental or if I just needed to put more miles on one. It was so easy to ride and everything just worked without a second thought - some people have mentioned that they seemed Japanese because of this and I now understand what they were talking about.

Riding the Road King or indeed the Buell requires you to adopt a complete mindset focused on riding that particular bike - you could just jump on a new Softail and ride off without giving it a thought - and you would have to keep looking at the badge on the tank to remind you that you were riding a Harley. Now I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing - Harley have obviously put a lot of effort into the development of these bikes and they should appeal to a whole new section of the market.

For my personal taste I think the Street Bob will be the best best as I like the stripped down look and with the money saved I can buy some (non-screaming eagle) parts to make it my own.

Anyway that's the latest - pics below:

IMG_20180512_143755.jpg

IMG_20180512_143813.jpg

Back