Non memership of any region.

Hello. Can you confirm that you can still be a club member if you dont wish to stay a regional member of any region within the club.
yes you can , there are quite a few members that dont associate themselves as a region member, you join the club not the region but most are happy getting involved with a region

I still remember when the region name tags came out, though I lived in north east Surrey the London region barely existed and I chose to have a New Forest tag - after all I went down there most of all then (the days of Captain Mainwaring, Malibu, mum & dad, double decker buses and old english gentlemen...).

This thread on reflection is an opportunity for the club to reiterate (starting with the Quin) the fact we all join a NATIONAL club, the clue being H-DRC of GREAT BRITAIN. It's for convenience we are made up of regions, they are not clubs within a club, but can understand how new members can easily get confused. We have a rich heritage as a national club that goes back to 1949, our regions and the rallies / events each organise keeps the club alive. Some regions choose to promote their regional identity with regalia, some others less so, but we also have national regalia that is available, I personally wear a mix. But as Mark rightly states above, members affiliation to a region is optional, but if you enjoy the company of members, especially if for whatever reason you don't attend rallies or national events, then mixing with the local community in the area in which you live is the obvious choice.
Finally, the club and the friendships that are formed have no boundaries, we are not defined in my opinion by our region in which we live, we should be known by who we are and the more you put into the club the more you will get out.

Last edited:
please note - this is me speaking as a club member, not as any kind of spokesperson for the committee...
Region Zero - i.e. those members with no regional affiliation - is actually one of the largest member groups in the club, even though it doesn't really exist. when I sent out the Harleyquin subscriber emails last week I had a look, and it was about 120 members - so about 5% of the club. The size of this group is one of several reasons for which I am generally against proposals for national awards being made on a regional basis (for example, I would not support a 'regional turnout' award at the International Rally, as has been mentioned for a Baza Bloxham award - as it would disenfranchise a substantial proportion of the club)
The current committee has not (yet) explored the status of these members, but when, in the past, I raised the issue of the lack of communication channels between the committee and R0, and the lack of representation and advocacy available to those members, previous management's response was not indicative of a great deal of empathy with the situation...

Last edited:
Interesting stuff here as a nomad myself with no regional affiliation for many years due to life i find many people are in the club for what it represents here and abroad “which is all good” and regional life is secondary for many and useful to touch base with locally as wanted or needed
the cycle of a region growing then waning with change has occurred in most of the regions for years just as it has in other clubs the key driving force being the members at any one time as they come and go
ie life in general and involvement and time govern all and this could be why regional affiliation looks short on paper but meeting and rallys may tell a different story but in the end we are all but under one banner
H.D.R.C.G.B

Bottom line - you join the H-DRCGB and as such become a member of that club. There is no obligation to associate with any region, further there is no obligation to associate with even the club! Mountain and mole hill comes to mind with this particular debate, as long as you pay your fee and don't bring this club into disrepute you can remain completely annonimous.

One final point - I also share the view that there is too much play on who has the largest regional turnout at rallies. We need to celebrate and focus more on the fact that members chose to come together from all over the UK - all equal in status.

tiz what you call a nomad :cool::cool::cool:

understand completely .. i dont ride out with the local region ,,,
two reasons i ride older bikes ,,so dont want to slow the group ,
and dont like group riding ,,,

Many years ago a group of us from R12 met DJ for a ride-out from Torrington Common to Bude. John led the group and was on his humble Royal Enfield Bullet and I can confirm was not slow riding them B roads & twisties! It's not about outright speed in a straight line, it's about having the confidence and experience to ride smoothly and keep a consistency in speed. I would rather ride fast on a slow bike than slow on a fast bike anytime! 😎

You made me remember how, back in Shipley rally days, on the big ride out to the steam rally event we'd have Pip in the lead on his Servi-Car going 40+mph and yet the tail enders had to do 50-60mph!?? weird!

Just ride at your own pace and if you are not comfortable riding in a group or feel pressured to ride outside your comfort zone - DONT! Same goes for those that feel constrained by riding in a group of less experienced riders - agree a destination and do your own thing - simple!

when i was in a local club many many years ago with Z1s ,my Z1R , GS 1000S + 850, XS1100s and 1 midnight special, Z750 twin, 3 Z650 of which 1 was a C ( mag wheels and special paint ) but we also had CB250 G5 +K4, Z400s ,CB200 and a CD175 so we would aways ride in two groups with their own leaders but there was never that much difference in arrive times at the other end scratch_head

Back