Number plate size

F

Fritzthedog

I've just had my bike MOT'd and was told that my number plate was illegal. It has the letters and numbers in 3 rows and should be in 2 rows. As my plate is side mounted it would mean changing the plate and bracket and would have to be quite a bit wider. I just like to know your feeling on this and what size plates you have.
Cheers Paul.

Re: Number plate size

I've just had my bike MOT'd and was told that my number plate was illegal. It has the letters and numbers in 3 rows and should be in 2 rows. As my plate is side mounted it would mean changing the plate and bracket and would have to be quite a bit wider. I just like to know your feeling on this and what size plates you have.
Cheers Paul.

It it is the legal requirement to be on 2 rows. I was nicked and fined for having a plate with all one one line.

Read up on the legal requirement HERE

Hi Paul,
How anyone feels is irrelevant - if you want to pass your MOT you need a compliant plate. What you do after the MOT is your business. I personally don't tamper with the plate size as it only draws attention from the boys in blue, but that's my choice.

Yep what Rick said. Used to bug me too specially after I got stung for a hundred quid by a traffic cop looking for promotion; but then I went to the Super Rally, saw some of the monstrositis our European friends have to tote about and decided we don't have it so hard after all.

Depending on your reg number you may be able to squeeze it onto a smaller plate and keep the legal size letters. I eventualy caved in and bought a layed back bracked so a legal size plate would fit with my luggage rack. The fine went up to ?100 not so long ago and it gives them a reason to pull you over so they can bollock you over your pipes as well!

I suppose it's a choice thing really. I usually run a small black plate on my '96, but put a standard plate on for the MOT & have ended up leaving it on. If they stop you for the plate, then chances are they'll look at exhaust, tyres, tax, insurance, MOT & owt else they can think of. Do you want the hassle? I can't be arsed these days. If you don't give them a reason, you won't get pulled. In the "good old days" it was the rebellious thing to do, but with a camera on every other street corner & on top of traffic lights, they've got you no matter what.

Thank guys for being so helpful. I think I'm going to go the legal route as most of you have said I can do without he hassle.
Thanks again Paul.

Back